PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Pioneer VSX-524-K with 340SE? Budget amp recommendation?

GirgleMirt
12-26-2014, 04:57 PM
So seems like my 2nd system (pair of 340SE) amp has started to die. An old Rega Brio purchased like 10 years ago 2nd hand, the right channel is starting to distort quite badly. So, I'll either need to fix it which I might attempt, get it repaired ($$$), or simply replace it. Be it that it's boxing day, replacing might be the simpler and better idea.

So looking for deals, a Pioneer VSX-524-K (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-140-watt-5-1-channel-3d-home-theatre-receiver-vsx-524-k-vsx-524-k/10302148.aspx?path=acfc2e73623d079b2422a9c78c360b9 cen02) seems quite a good deal as it normally sells for 250$US it seems, and is 200$cdn, or ~170$US.

Specs look decent, seems to have the same 0.08% THD as all the other ~200-300$ receivers, sub out, hdmi, etc. My google-fu seems weak for this amp... So wondering if anyone has an experience or suggestions? There's also a Denon (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/denon-denon-5-1-channel-3d-home-theatre-receiver-avr-1513-avr-1513/10199397.aspx?path=39b4362b020c943ea01ca47ec597bb7 3en02), Onkyo (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/onkyo-onkyo-325-watt-5-1-channel-home-theatre-receiver-tx-sr313-tx-sr313/10200603.aspx?path=3681a057934868dc38871fb0a9d2294 den02).

Thanks!

FirstReflect
12-27-2014, 11:33 PM
I know it's a little more money (oh how I wish we Canadians could shop more easily at accessories4less in the States), but I would recommend sticking with Denon in the lower price ranges these days.

The biggest reason for me is that I'm such a fan of being able to use Audyssey Dynamic EQ. So few people listen at full Reference Volume, and without any compensation program for human hearing, we're losing a lot of what we're supposed to be able to hear in any given soundtrack.

Right now, I'd easily point you over to Gibby's sale on a B-stock Denon AVR-E400: http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/denon-avre400-networked-passthrough-home-theater-receiver-bstock-avre400-p-8985.html

Don't freak out, Gibby's has the wrong back panel picture on their website (at least at the moment I'm posting this. Here's the full info from Denon's Canadian website: http://ca.denon.com/ca/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avre400

Anywho, I know there are all the Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. fans out there. Everyone's making pretty decent AV Receivers these days. I wouldn't bang my fist on the table against any choice. But I just personally favour Denon - mainly because I also favour Audyssey as an auto-setup program, particularly for that Dynamic EQ (though NOT Dynamic Volume, which I would highly recommend leaving OFF, which thankfully, you can adjust separately from Dynamic EQ). And when you can get a great deal like that B-stock AVR-E400 for $250 CAN, to me, it's totally worth the extra $50.

Best of luck!

- Rob H.

GirgleMirt
12-28-2014, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure Audyssey would be such a big help. It's basically for the living room, and is used 90% for ambient music, there's really not a big deal of critical listening, and it's even rarely used for listening in stereo mode in the sweet listening spot. Pretty much all critical music listening or movie watching is done on the main system in a music/HT room. Sometimes a movie or something will be used, but the 340SE are already near perfect in terms of frequency response and really I have no complaint for the room itself. So I'm not sure Audyssey would help that much. No?

For Denon vs others, if I remember the 200$ Denon I linked was underpowered vs the others. Not that this is a huge issue, but also the rear had those incredibly cheap and annoying plastic connectors... At least the Pioneer had proper 'screw on' type for the 2 mains. That, power, same THD, etc., Pioneer seemed more appealing.

For the one you've linked, 50$ more... I'm under the assumption given pretty much all the amplifier blind tests I've seen, that it would sound the same. I'm about to open up the Rega see if I can find the issue, and I remember years ago some guide to upgrade it; change some caps & stuff to improve it, might be worth looking into as it might fix the issue, and maybe get a repair quote. Also maybe on the used market I should be able to find something...

Anywho, I know there are all the Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. fans out there. Everyone's making pretty decent AV Receivers these days. I wouldn't bang my fist on the table against any choice.
Yeah that's what I figured too! And from my perspective you can't go wrong with Denon. I'm just thinking that in my case, spending more for it might be a waste since I probably could never tell the difference.. Or maybe it is worth it, I'm not entirely sure, hence the post ;) Thanks for your post!

GirgleMirt
01-03-2015, 04:12 PM
So opened up the amp, everything looked fine except a blown fuse! 3$ later, works again! So if your amp or anything has issues, doesn't cost anything to open it up and take a look, the fix is often simpler than you think! :D