PDA

View Full Version : New 340s & 170s!! Thrilled!!

cgolf
12-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Just sold my Axiom M80s and Emotiva center and surrounds and installed 3-340SEs up front and a pair of 170s for surrounds. Wasn't too concerned about the center and surrounds but truthfully, I wasn't sure if moving from floor standing M80s to the 340s was going to be an improvement. A change, yes, but an improvement??

After only two weeks, I am thrilled that I made the change and I am very happy with the results. Much better clarity and crispness all around, both on 2 channel music and with movies. My music barometer (my wife), told me she immediately noticed a difference in the music. If she can tell a difference, then I know there is a difference.

I am enjoying these speakers and I know that it will only get better as I get used to them. My only concern is that now that I have heard the basic system, upgraditis has already set in and I am looking ahead to towers!!

FirstReflect
12-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Congrats!

Over at AV Rant Podcast, I love recommending the CMT-340SE and CBM-170SE speakers. I always say that I think the SE series tweeters are a cut above in their price class. And there's no question of their superiority over those Axiom tweeters. You heard the difference for yourself, and it's pretty easy to spot, isn't it ;)

If you've already got upgraditis, I guess I won't be of too much help because I'm about to tell you that, as good as the SE series speakers are, the Sierra series speakers - particularly with the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrades - really are an audible improvement.

Typically, the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard with audio gear. You double, triple, or multiply by even more the price of what you already have, and you get a small improvement, but a pretty darn subtle one. That's how things usually go. But I have to say that, in my opinion, the RAAL-upgraded Sierra series speakers buck that trend.

For me, the word is "realism". It depends very much on the recording, but there are far more instances when using the Towers RAAL, Horizon RAAL, and Sierra-2 where I am fooled into thinking I'm hearing a real live person or real live instruments being played in front of me rather than being able to tell that the sound is coming from speakers. That illusion is extremely difficult to achieve, but when it happens, it's as large an upgrade in sound quality - at least to me - as going from a half-decent HTiB to a proper set of speakers.

So what I'm saying is, your upgraditis is justified in this case ;) But I would make the following recommendation: enjoy the heck out of your SE series speakers because they truly are fantastic speakers. Meanwhile, save up for the RAAL-upgraded Sierra series speakers. If you are going to upgrade the SE series speakers, then I highly recommend going "whole hog" when you do. In my opinion, you want that upgrade to be really obvious so that it's very easy to feel as though your purchase was justified and worth while.

Going from the SE series speakers to the RAAL-upgraded Sierra series is a big jump in price tag! But that is a testament to how good the SE series speakers already are, and it's also a sign of what it takes to achieve that illusion of realism and fooling your brain into thinking there aren't even speakers anymore - just live singers and instruments invisible in front of you. Where you'll really learn to appreciate the RAAL-upgraded Sierra series speakers is when you go looking for other speakers that are able to create that same illusion of realism. When you see how much many of those speakers cost, you'll see the RAAL-upgraded Sierra series speakers for what they are: an absolute steal!

Congrats again, and enjoy those CMT-340SE and CBM-170SE speakers! I know you will.

- Rob H.

cgolf
12-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback. No question the 340s are great but everything I read implies that the Sierra's are a big step up especially with the RAAL tweeters. I thought about sending these back and getting the towers but I don't like doing that unless I'm really unhappy with a product. I think your advice is right on..... Enjoy the 340s awhile and save up for the RAAL towers!!!

icetech
12-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback. No question the 340s are great but everything I read implies that the Sierra's are a big step up especially with the RAAL tweeters. I thought about sending these back and getting the towers but I don't like doing that unless I'm really unhappy with a product. I think your advice is right on..... Enjoy the 340s awhile and save up for the RAAL towers!!!

Posts like this are making me nuts.. a few months back i got 3 340's for the front and 2 200's for the rears... now i wondering constantly if i should have gone with the 170's.. although i am happy with the 200's... hate my brain sometimes:)

cgolf
12-28-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I chose the 170s because I changed my setup a little bit and didn't want to wall mount my surrounds. I build stands for them so I went with the 170s.

Both are great speakers as are all of the Ascend speakers.

icetech
12-28-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I chose the 170s because I changed my setup a little bit and didn't want to wall mount my surrounds. I build stands for them so I went with the 170s.

Both are great speakers as are all of the Ascend speakers.

True enough, when i bought mine i was going to wall mount then got skittish bout messing up my walls and went with stands.. i am plenty happy with them though:) Working on room treatments now..