PDA

View Full Version : How to complete my 7.1 system?

Joechoes
12-15-2014, 06:33 AM
I currently have Towers w/ RAAL and I am ordering a Horizon w/ RAAL today.

I use my system primarily for movies and video games and want the best surround sound experience.

My room is not that large, but I have always been a fan of overkill. :)

I have two rows of seating and one wall is right up next to my seating so a smaller side surrounds with a wide dispersion would be ideal. Currently I have old (not ascend) tower speakers as side surrounds set up between the two rows on the sides. Ideally I would like to wall mount a speaker, but price- sound quality compromises could change that.

The Sierra-1's would be awesome but more than I can spend anytime soon. I am wondering if I would be satisfied with the match, output and quality of the CBM-170's for surrounds with my front RAAL towers and horizon center? I know nobody can really answer that but me once I have listened but I would still appreciate the opinions of those who have heard the different speakers.

Joechoes
12-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Okay,

My research in the other threads makes me think that for surround duty, the 170's quality and output would not disappoint. I still do not know how they would sound specifically with the RAAL Towers/Horizon up front though. . . . . .

dtsequoia
12-15-2014, 04:28 PM
I think for surround the 170's are perfect. I don't have any yet but...You are basically building the system I plan on building in a couple years. Since the surrounds really are just there for effects (In both our cases...no SACD or DVD-A plays), I think getting anything more than the 170's would be overkill. Just my 2 cents. Good luck man.

PS - How are those towers? Haha.

Joechoes
12-15-2014, 05:42 PM
PS - How are those towers? Haha.

The towers are great, but I am really looking forward to putting the Horizon in the middle to have better matching sound up front. Right now I have an Aperion center channel there which is a nice speaker for what I paid but nowhere near my Ascend Towers.

I have noticed with my old Aperion towers as side surround channels that some movies really do put high quality sound/music through the surround channels. The dipole/bipole's that I used to have there definitely were not providing enough quality to match the source material.

So, some Ascend speakers as surrounds which will sonically match my front speakers will be complete bliss.

DougMac
12-16-2014, 01:07 PM
So, some Ascend speakers as surrounds which will sonically match my front speakers will be complete bliss.
I don't know about matching the towers, but I know that Dave has worked hard to voice all Ascends to have a similar sound. I'm using 170's up front, 340's on the side and 200's in the back. Pans are seamless in my setup. There's more and more 7.1 material out there, we just got through watching two movies where the back channels were noticeable (in a good way, there were distinct audio cues).

I've been very pleased with the 170's. They have no problem keeping up with the 340's.

I'd love to hear the towers. I keep dreaming about getting some, even though I'm super pleased with my current setup.