PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Continuous Power Recommendations for Ascend Loudspeakers

Chipless
12-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Does anyone happen to know what impedance the "Maximum Continuous Power" rating pertains to? Sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find an answer via the search function.

davef
12-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Does anyone happen to know what impedance the "Maximum Continuous Power" rating pertains to? Sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find an answer via the search function.

Hi Chipless,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Wattage is wattage, in other words -- the power handling rating of a speaker has no relation to a speaker's impedance. If a speaker can handle 100 watts, it would handle 100 watts regardless of what its impedance is.

However, how much power (wattage) an amplifier or receiver can provide to that loudspeaker is directly related to the impedance of that speaker.

Hope this makes sense!

Chipless
12-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Hi Chipless,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Wattage is wattage, in other words -- the power handling rating of a speaker has no relation to a speaker's impedance. If a speaker can handle 100 watts, it would handle 100 watts regardless of what its impedance is.

However, how much power (wattage) an amplifier or receiver can provide to that loudspeaker is directly related to the impedance of that speaker.

Hope this makes sense!

Yes, that definitely makes sense! Sorry for the poorly worded question from the onset. So, what is the nominal impedance of your loudspeakers I guess? In other words, with a 300 watt Maximum Continuous Power of say the Sierra Towers, would an appropriate amp pairing be with one that doesn't drive above 300 watt RMS at ANY impedance down to 4ohms? Or, would it be appropriate to pair with an amp that runs something like 300 watts RMS @ 8ohms, up to 450 watts RMS at 4ohms? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I surely would feel much dumber if I damaged a speaker as a result of my ignorance.

Sivar
12-12-2014, 12:07 PM
My 2 Denarius:

If you get an amp whose maximum output at some impedance is the max continuous input of your speakers, the amp is likely to clip and distort while playing loud. Power requirements are not continuous -- a speaker that can handle 300W may need 400W for a few milliseconds during a peak. If the amp can't supply that (either through its rated output or through its capacitor bank) it can sound harsh.
That, combined with the fact that many receivers and some amps are not entirely honest about their max output, may lead you to consider getting an amp with a higher rating than the speakers can handle and just not turning it up all the way.

Chipless
12-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the input!

davef
12-16-2014, 01:32 AM
My 2 Denarius:

If you get an amp whose maximum output at some impedance is the max continuous input of your speakers, the amp is likely to clip and distort while playing loud. Power requirements are not continuous -- a speaker that can handle 300W may need 400W for a few milliseconds during a peak. If the amp can't supply that (either through its rated output or through its capacitor bank) it can sound harsh.
That, combined with the fact that many receivers and some amps are not entirely honest about their max output, may lead you to consider getting an amp with a higher rating than the speakers can handle and just not turning it up all the way.

Excellent post!!