PDA

View Full Version : How much amplification for CBM-170se's?

noremacyug
12-02-2014, 01:02 AM
Looking for receiver recommendations. Would like to keep it at no more than $500, the less the better. I was just afraid the cheaper options wouldn't have enough power to drive the speakers effectively, so I'd appreciate some recommendations.

I was really looking at the emotiva fusion 8100, but its only 65w per channel. So I figured I might be better off with a yamaha, denon, or the like.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mag_Neato
12-02-2014, 06:46 AM
The 65 watts is with all 7 channels driven, which is significant. 2 channels driven rating is 110 watts. You will have plenty of power to sufficiently drive most speakers. My old Outlaw audio model 1050 receiver was rated at 65 watts with 3 channels driven and outperformed another receiver rated at 110 watts channel.

noremacyug
12-02-2014, 10:27 AM
So you see no issues reaching reference movie levels with that receiver/speaker combo?

Mag_Neato
12-02-2014, 11:08 AM
You could plug in your numbers with this calculator:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

The 170's have a sensitivity of 91db@1 meter. The power rating of 65 watts w/7 channels means just that.....outputting 65 watts to all speakers simultaneously. The 110 watts X 2 means the same thing.....with 2 channels driven simultaneously. The actual power output per channel will depend on the program material as to what signal is being sent to each channel, but you will rarely, if ever, encounter full power demand to all speakers simultaneously.

curtis
12-02-2014, 02:17 PM
So you see no issues reaching reference movie levels with that receiver/speaker combo?
I caution you about getting caught up in the "reference movie levels" argument in a home theater.

noremacyug
12-02-2014, 04:34 PM
I just want to be able to reproduce as accurately as possible (within my budget) what was heard when they mixed the track. I won't always listen at reference levels, but would like to be able to when I want. Is that silly?

DougMac
12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I just want to be able to reproduce as accurately as possible (within my budget) what was heard when they mixed the track. I won't always listen at reference levels, but would like to be able to when I want. Is that silly?
I'm with Dave, there is a huge morass surrounding the term "reference level". How does this equate to real life?

It's really hard to address without a lot more information, such as room size, acoustic properties of the room, etc.

Movie theaters are supposedly set up for "reference level". One reason I don't go to theaters any more is they are just too darn loud. I have a dedicated home theater and I rarely go louder than -12db.

IMO if you want to play at what you call "reference levels", you're going to have to pony up at least double your $500 budget to get both loud and clean. Look for something able to produce >100 watts all channels driven.