PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 2s with Two Subs, or RAAL Towers with One Sub

Chipless
11-25-2014, 02:24 PM
I am waiting to hear back from Dave regarding this, but I wanted to get a general feel from the community as well regarding this $6,000~ decision.

I am replacing all speakers in my HT setup, and I'm stuck between two options given my budget at the moment:

OPTION 1:
-Center: Horizon RAAL
-F/R: Sierra Tower RAAL
-Surrounds: CBM-170SE
-Sub: Rythmik FV15HP

OPTION 2:
-F/R: Sierra 2
-Sub 1: Rythmik FV15HP
-Sub 2: Rythmik FV15HP

As you can see, the only differences between the two options I'm currently considering are the fronts and subs. This system is used equally for home theatre and music, with the latter consisting mostly of the progressive and deep house genres, but no genre is left unplayed. The room is an open layout living room/kitchen/dinette area totaling 3,600 cubic feet, but this is not a permanent space by any means. I will most likely be moving in a couple of years or less, but I don't know when, or to where I will be moving. Wherever I end up, I know the space will be better from an acoustic standpoint than the one I currently have.

Thanks for any input you can take the time to provide!

Chipless
11-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Just spoke with Dave, which was a pleasure. He recommended Option 1, one major reason being it's a lot easier to get an additional sub than it is to sell Sierra 2s and buy new towers. Makes sense, but I was hesitant due to the cost savings of buying two subs at once, but my worries on that front have been allieviated ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say that I ordered all of the things listed in Option 1, so now all I can do is let the excitement build until everything arrives! I will provide my impressions once I've had ample time to listen.

bkdc
12-21-2014, 05:55 PM
You chose correctly, and I think Dave gave you good advice.

After a period of sustained listening after replacing the Sierra Towers (with RAAL) with Sierra-2's in my 2-subwoofer setup, I noticed several things.

1) The Sierra-2's are more fatiguing to my ears. I had been using the Sierra-2's as my dedicated computer monitors at lower volumes. Now that I'm listening in a larger room at higher volumes, my ears are getting tired with sustained listening. This wasn't happening with my Sierra Towers. I'm pretty sure my Sierra-2's have been broken in nicely after many many hours as my computer monitor. However, I will have to give it some more time.

2) The lush mids from the Sierra towers are gone. The flat frequency response on the Sierra-2 as seen on the graph is amazing. However, there is an amazing lush mid to mid-low frequecy sound that fills the room with the Towers. This mid to mid-low frequency impact has disappeared. Don't get me wrong. The Sierra-2's are amazing.

3) Stereo imaging has improved with the Sierra-2's. This is to be expected with the smaller 'point source' of the bookshelves.

Chipless
12-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input! I am glad that I decided to go with the towers even though I haven't received them yet :mad:

I also managed to find a little extra money, so I was able to purchase that second sub afterall :o

So, as it stands now, I should have the following at my place in a week or so:
-F/R: Sierra Tower RAAL
-Rear Surrounds: CBM-170SE
-Sub 1: Rythmik FV15HP
-Sub 2: Rythmik FV15HP

To say that I am excited would be a gross understatement!

ematthews
12-23-2014, 02:59 PM
That will be one nice set up. I just got my RAAL towers in. It's for a 2.1 music system only. No tv in this small room.