PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Sierra-2 is done.... what's next?

SGCSG1
11-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Are we ever go to see that Sierra .5?

12" tall, 8" wide and 9" deep?

FirstReflect
11-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Heh. I'm sure Dave has got something cooking!

I'd love to see a line of Sierra on-walls. The Sierra 0.5 seemed like a no-go, but perhaps with the new SEAS CURV driver material, it could be revisited. I'd sooner just see Dave develop a 6 inch deep cabinet that can house any of the existing Sierra-1, Sierra-1 NrT, or Sierra-2 driver combinations and be wall mountable, though.

An upward-firing Atmos Module could be an interesting addition. But with Auro-3D coming out for Denon and Marantz Receivers/Processors in December and SMPTE working away on a single common file format for Immersive Audio, I'm not sure how many people will ever really go for the upward-firing Atmos Elevation Modules since those only work with Atmos and Dolby Surround.

The other thing I think would be interesting for Dave to tackle would be a super high output and/or super high efficiency line of speakers. There's definitely a market out there for both, and if high sensitivity and super high output capabilities could be combined in one design, that would really be something special. Something to take on Tekton and JTR and the like ;)

parimento1
11-19-2014, 06:16 AM
I would love to see a smaller tower with one woofer in a more compact package. Also maybe versions of the Sierra's with front porting to enable closer positioning to the wall in small rooms or a sealed enclosure version.

Also, matching stands that you can screw the Sierra 1 or 2 into would be very nice and would probably sell well to boot.

essneff
11-19-2014, 08:04 AM
I'd like to see a "Super Tower" that would house twin 8" drivers as woofers, perhaps a 6" midrange and a larger Raal ribbon. Many people seem to have very large rooms to fill and this option could satisfy that
market segment. The price point could be $2.5-3k each. Introducing the new Sierra Grande!!!!!!!!

rsmt2000
11-19-2014, 08:09 AM
I'd like to see a "Super Tower" that would house twin 8" drivers as woofers, perhaps a 6" midrange and a larger Raal ribbon. Many people seem to have very large rooms to fill and this option could satisfy that
market segment. The price point could be $2.5-3k each. Introducing the new Sierra Grande!!!!!!!!

Now that Rythmik has 8" drivers for woofers, I think it is only logical to anticipate a new tower which can play down to 20 Hz. Even without a bigger room I am sure there are many who are willing to have that bass bliss.

JustABrah
11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Would really love to see a mini Sierra-2 for surrounds but we've been there and doesn't seem like it will happen

N Boros
11-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Would really love to see a mini Sierra-2 for surrounds but we've been there and doesn't seem like it will happen

This does seem like something that is missing in the lineup. It would ne nice if it was the same depth as the htm 200s and either sealed or front ported to make it easily wall mountable for surround speakers. Right now the only speakers that would work well like this are the htm 200s. They probably are great speakers for the money, but some folks would prefer to have ribbon tweeters all the way around them.

kclb1
11-20-2014, 09:06 PM
I would like a 3-way large monitor speaker with ribbon tweeter, midrange and woofer. This would make a more portable speaker than the towers. I enjoy my Daber Audio Monitor 3 with Hi-Vi RT-1C-A planar tweeter but would consider 3-way designed sierra monitor speaker with the RAAL ribbon tweeter.

N Boros
11-21-2014, 08:24 AM
I would like a 3-way large monitor speaker with ribbon tweeter, midrange and woofer. This would make a more portable speaker than the towers. I enjoy my Daber Audio Monitor 3 with Hi-Vi RT-1C-A planar tweeter but would consider 3-way designed sierra monitor speaker with the RAAL ribbon tweeter.

You can already have basically what you are looking for from Ascend.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4914-Sierra-Horizon-%28Sierra-Tower-Center%29/page27

It is about a $300 price premium, which is very reasonable for a custom speaker. There was another thread discussing the custom Horizon center, where there was a range of dimensions that you are able to choose from, but I can't find it.

JustABrah
11-24-2014, 05:55 PM

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4914-Sierra-Horizon-%28Sierra-Tower-Center%29/page27

It is about a $300 price premium, which is very reasonable for a custom speaker. There was another thread discussing the custom Horizon center, where there was a range of dimensions that you are able to choose from, but I can't find it.

Or just buy 3 horizons for the fronts and those would look pretty wicked and no price premium added

davef
11-25-2014, 10:51 PM

Yes, we have made something quite similar, a smaller version of our tower with the exact same components. However, for clarification purposes -- the price premium for the custom cabinets is quite a bit higher than $300. We typically charge $600-$700 per cabinet, and it varies from there depending on finishes and overall complexity.

eliwankenobi
12-01-2014, 10:44 AM
I would also love to see a stand for the Sierra-2 that matches it's finish and can be used to screw the speaker in place... Also with a hole to allow sandfilling for added stability.

An overall look similar to Curtis' custom stands

davef
12-03-2014, 12:36 AM
I would also love to see a stand for the Sierra-2 that matches it's finish and can be used to screw the speaker in place... Also with a hole to allow sandfilling for added stability.

An overall look similar to Curtis' custom stands

I have looked into producing matching bamboo stands but these would end up being quite expensive at about $500-$600 per pair. I don't believe there would be much interest at this price.

billy p
12-03-2014, 05:37 AM
Just curious if Ascends would consider designing "HE" type speakers? Lately it appears things are trending in that direction. Personally, I have very little interest in high efficiency monitors nor do I like how they look using...massive drivers...IMO its more a niche market but people are staring to gravitate towards them and away from more traditional styles.

davef
12-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Just curious if Ascends would consider designing "HE" type speakers? Lately it appears things are trending in that direction. Personally, I have very little interest in high efficiency monitors nor do I like how they look using...massive drivers...IMO its more a niche market but people are staring to gravitate towards them and away from more traditional styles.

I would caution anyone from judging the marketplace based on AVS forum or other online forums with regard to any market trends. Our sales numbers suggest an increase towards more traditional "Hi-Fi" speakers. HE / PA speakers definitely have their place in the market but like all things audio, there are significant trade-offs.

eliwankenobi
12-04-2014, 07:16 AM
I have looked into producing matching bamboo stands but these would end up being quite expensive at about $500-$600 per pair. I don't believe there would be much interest at this price.

Thanks for the reply Dave! How about mdf?

davef
12-05-2014, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave! How about mdf?

MDF is doable, but then they wouldn't match the finish of the Sierra's. Would basic black matte be OK?

DevL
12-08-2014, 06:10 AM
I think a satin sheen would be an excellent sheen as it would work with all speaker sheens from matte to piano gloss. Black would work universally for a stand color for any speaker. Concealed wire routing is a must. Also various heights including a 40" surround height option. This would be a Huge seller with height options 30, 36, and 40 inches.