PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 1 with Raal 70-20XR vs Sierra 2

hawk1410
11-09-2014, 10:19 AM
I am able to get a Sierra 1 with the Raal 70-20XR from the towers and a custom crossover locally on CL. How do these compare with the Sierra 2s? It seems the 2s have a narrower ribbon and a newer midwoofer, but i have absolutely no idea how that will affect the sound of both. Anyone care to enlighten me.
Thanks

natetg57
02-10-2015, 04:27 AM
I am able to get a Sierra 1 with the Raal 70-20XR from the towers and a custom crossover locally on CL. How do these compare with the Sierra 2s? It seems the 2s have a narrower ribbon and a newer midwoofer, but i have absolutely no idea how that will affect the sound of both. Anyone care to enlighten me.
Thanks
I'd like to know this as well. How would a Sierra-1 with Raal 70-24xl work as a center channel with Sierra-2s as left, right and surrounds? Or would i be better off just getting another Sierra-2?

bkdc
02-10-2015, 06:02 AM
I'd like to know this as well. How would a Sierra-1 with Raal 70-24xl work as a center channel with Sierra-2s as left, right and surrounds? Or would i be better off just getting another Sierra-2?

I'd just match the three. The one benefit of the 70-20XR would be that it can be crossed over at a lower frequency than the 70-10, and so you get sweet detailed transients extending down to 1800Hz. Whether this results in an improvement in the mid-low frequencies as the demands on the woofer are decreased .... that's what I'd be interested in. Dave seemed to think that it wouldn't make financial sense to put a 70-20XR into a bookshelf, but I'm willing to pay more for improved audio quality. I'm not sure what the crossover point is for the Sierra-2, but any extra frequency range in the 2000-3000Hz range is extremely important, and this still within the frequency range of the human voice. I'd be willing to pay more for what the ribbon tweeter can deliver here over the woofer. If the 70-20XR could squeeze out an extra 500Hz on the lower end over the 70-10 while decreasing the demands on the woofer, it's worth it to me.

eliwankenobi
02-10-2015, 06:52 AM
I remember Dave saying that ordering any Sierra bookshelf with the 70-20 RAAL tweeter will be a custom one off job. A modification has to be done to the cabinet, and custom crossover as well. No returns or 30 day trial. Something to consider.

I don't think Dave will make one unless someone orders a pair. Having said this, I would love to know how a Sierra-2 with the 70-20 RaaL tweeter turns out!

Now as to the thread starter... Verify with seller it is still on warranty, though I think you should have no problem with that. If the price is right for you, go for them. They will sound good! We know that from Ascend for sure

bkdc
02-10-2015, 07:53 AM
You get to a point where the custom cost nears the cost of the Sierra Tower-RAAL. If the custom design came with a front slotted port without issues of boominess and halving the price between the tower and the Sierra-2, I think I would bite. But with a custom cabinet and custom crossover, the Tower would make better sense unless space is the #1 issue.

I just made a separate post inquiring whether people had experience using the Horizon-RAAL as near-field monitors because I'm looking for any improvement in performance for near-field monitor use over my Sierra-2.

curtis
02-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks
The design goals of the two midwoofers are/were different. The midwoofer in the Sierra-2 handles transients better...it is lighter and stiffer, but doesn't play quite as deep as the Sierra-1 midwoofer.