PDA

View Full Version : CMT-340 vs. CBM-170, for surrounds

OsiViper
11-09-2014, 12:48 AM
A while back I got one of the Onkyo 7.1 HTIB and have been slowly replacing speakers.

I replaced the 2 front left and right speakers with a pair of CMT-340's and replaced the subwoofer with a LV12R, but my other speakers sound awful by comparison now and I want them dead.. Lol

I am already getting the 340 center to replace mine. But Is there any benefit going the CBM-170 over the 340's for surround other than the size and price? Or if I have the $ would I be better off getting more 340's for the surrounds?

I mostly listen to music, but occasionally watch a movie or play PS4.

Thanks!

natetg57
11-09-2014, 07:08 AM
I think size and price are the main advantages of the 170īs. You could also consider the HTM-200īs if you are putting the speakers directly on a wall. I wouldn't compromise optimal placement just to try to fit the 340s.

davef
11-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I am already getting the 340 center to replace mine. But Is there any benefit going the CBM-170 over the 340's for surround other than the size and price? Or if I have the $ would I be better off getting more 340's for the surrounds?

I mostly listen to music, but occasionally watch a movie or play PS4.

Thanks!

The 170's are more placement friendly and will perform better as surrounds if mounting on the wall. If you can properly place the 340's and at the correct height, the 340's will outperform the 170's as surrounds.

Hope this helps!

DougMac
12-04-2014, 12:40 PM
I know this is a little old, but I thought I'd share my experience. I use 340's L/C/R, 170's side surrounds and 200's rear surrounds. They blend seamlessly. I've never had a problem with the 170's or 200's keeping up with the 340's, even when playing loud.

Because of my dedicated home theater configuration, I'm "flying" the 170's and 200's from a 9' suspended ceiling. I placed the bottom of the speakers 6 1/2' from the floor pointing down towards the main seating. Perhaps it's not optimum, but it works.

I have "Dark Side of the Moon" in multi-channel SACD. The clock intro to "Time" is amazing, you really feel like you're standing in the middle of a clock shop. There's no timber shift. In movies, pans from side surrounds to front are smooth with no change in sound.

natetg57
12-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I know this is a little old, but I thought I'd share my experience. I use 340's L/C/R, 170's side surrounds and 200's rear surrounds. They blend seamlessly. I've never had a problem with the 170's or 200's keeping up with the 340's, even when playing loud.

Because of my dedicated home theater configuration, I'm "flying" the 170's and 200's from a 9' suspended ceiling. I placed the bottom of the speakers 6 1/2' from the floor pointing down towards the main seating. Perhaps it's not optimum, but it works.

I have "Dark Side of the Moon" in multi-channel SACD. The clock intro to "Time" is amazing, you really feel like you're standing in the middle of a clock shop. There's no timber shift. In movies, pans from side surrounds to front are smooth with no change in sound.
Can you post a couple of pics of your setup?

DougMac
12-05-2014, 05:27 AM
Can you post a couple of pics of your setup?
Will do. I'll get something over the weekend.
Doug

brianniebur
12-05-2014, 01:31 PM
I have the Sierra 2's for L/C/R. Would the HTM-200's or the CBM 170's make for better surrounds. They will be wall mounted.

I see the 170's are on sale for the same price as the 200's so now seems the right time to buy.

BTW, love the Sierra 2's

natetg57
12-08-2014, 09:22 AM
I have the Sierra 2's for L/C/R. Would the HTM-200's or the CBM 170's make for better surrounds. They will be wall mounted.

Do you mean mounted flush to the wall or on a bracket that swivels? If you have the space and the wall clearance, the 170's are the better speaker. The 200's are easier to mount since there is no port in the back like the 170's. I had them hanging on the wall simply with picture hanging wire and earthquake hooks.

brianniebur
12-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I guess I should have been clearer since people can't read my mind. :) They would be mounted with the Omni brackets.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to get them ordered while the sale is still on.

DougMac
12-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Will do. I'll get something over the weekend.
Doug
Sorry I didn't make good on my promise. I've had a major main computer fail and I've been building a new box. I ran into some minor problems (bad sound card), but all is well now. Hope to have photos soon.