PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Updgrade

brianniebur
11-04-2014, 09:13 AM
I recently upgraded to Ascend Sierra 2's for LCR and Dual Outlaw LFM 1-EX subs.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V871 receiver. Do you think there would be much of an upgrade in sound quality if I upgraded to something like the Denon X4000? I don't want to spend more than $800 or so for a new receiver and this seems to be the best option in that price range at the moment. If there wouldn't be much of an upgrade in sound quality I would hold off on the upgrade at this time since the Yamaha is working fine. I just don't know how much of an impact the receiver has.

Right now I use it probably 80% for TV/Movies and 20% Music.

I use a PS3 for CD and Blu-ray.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Kisakuku
11-04-2014, 09:42 AM
I recently upgraded to Ascend Sierra 2's for LCR and Dual Outlaw LFM 1-EX subs.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V871 receiver. Do you think there would be much of an upgrade in sound quality if I upgraded to something like the Denon X4000? I don't want to spend more than $800 or so for a new receiver and this seems to be the best option in that price range at the moment. If there wouldn't be much of an upgrade in sound quality I would hold off on the upgrade at this time since the Yamaha is working fine. I just don't know how much of an impact the receiver has.

Right now I use it probably 80% for TV/Movies and 20% Music.

I use a PS3 for CD and Blu-ray.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

If you plan to use the room correction software in the Denon, it would be a nice upgrade. Otherwise, sound quality would be pretty equivalent in direct mode.

Beave
11-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Agreed. The Denon X4000 has a more advanced room correction/EQ system. If that's something you'd use and like, then it would be an upgrade (many do like it, but some don't). If you just use direct mode, then it's not worth the change.

natetg57
11-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Another nice feature of the denon x4000 is the dual sub eq. This can be used with our without Audessey to equalize your two subs.

brianniebur
11-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The Sub eq on the x4000 is probably the main thing I am interested in. I hear about what a difference it can make, but what does it do? Just set the sound levels correctly or does it do something more than that? Such as adjusting frequency responses across the different frequencies? I'm a newbie and don't even really know what that means but if it helps sound quality that is all I care about. :)

BTW the Sierra 2's sound great.

On a separate note, need to find some wall mountable surround speakers. Are the CBM-170's the best choice for that?

Beave
11-05-2014, 01:11 PM
It sets the sound levels from each sub, their distances, and it also EQs them (ie, adjusts their frequency response). I haven't used Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ, but from what I've read, it's very good.