PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Mounting Problem with HTM-200

Tallen234
11-03-2014, 10:47 AM
I bought some PanaVise 110120B 20 lb. Speaker Mounts for my HTM-200's so I can use them as Front Height speakers in my system. Here is a link to them

http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-110120B-lb-Speaker-Mount/dp/B0002BBNEE/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I was getting ready to mount them when I realized that the mounting posts on the speaker are too narrow for the mount. I have attached two picture of this. 11251124

Is there anyway I can make this work? I am a bit surprised that either the speakers or the mount did fit as I thought this was a universal measurement.

Thanks!

curtis
11-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Interesting...the cheap mounting bracket I got fit perfectly.

Maybe devise some kind of an adapter with a slotted metal bracket?

Mag_Neato
11-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Since the mounting plates are cast aluminum(according to the link you supplied), you can do one of two things:
1) Return them and find a suitable replacement.

2) Use a small grinding bit in a rotary tool, such as a Dremel, and extend the slotted holes until it fits.

Blutarsky
11-04-2014, 12:48 PM
A rat tail file will work instead of a Dremel.

Mag_Neato
11-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Whatever tool you use make sure all the shavings are cleaned up. You don't want any of those near the speakers.

Tallen234
11-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys. I have a few issues regarding this.

1. I am not sure I can file away enough space for the bolts to fit in the mount.
2. I am wondering if filing away the bracket will reduce its strength that may compromise the mount. I know these mounts are "rated" to 20lbs, but....

If I can't get this bracket to work, what brackets have you guys used that have worked? I am trying to mount these HTM-200's as "Front Height" speakers so I want to be able to direct them to the listening spot (Toe in and pointed down).

Thanks

Tallen234
11-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Also, I am wondering if I can drill into the enclosure without compromising the speaker and that provides enough strength to mount the speaker....

debo
11-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I used this one for a wall mount: http://www.htd.com/Products/Wall-Mount-Speaker-Brackets/BR-TPR-Heavy-Duty-Brackets

and I used this one for a ceiling mount:http://www.cotytech.com/content-product_info/product_id-2276/ceiling_bracket_for_large_satellite_speaker_sp_os0 3.html

davef
11-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Is there anyway I can make this work? I am a bit surprised that either the speakers or the mount did fit as I thought this was a universal measurement. Thanks!

I am surprised too. Our threaded insert spacing is based on the well established spacing Omnimount uses on their brackets, which is "sort of" an industry standard. No real industry standard exists.

Also, I am wondering if I can drill into the enclosure without compromising the speaker and that provides enough strength to mount the speaker....

No problem at all drilling into the enclosure and using wood screws. Be sure that the wood screws installed form an air-tight seal, some silicon caulk or similar on the threads would be recommended.

Tallen234
11-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Thanks Dave! I appreciate the response.

I do have a couple of questions.

1. Can I attach the mount to the other end ("top") the speaker, so the speaker will be "upside-down"?

2. What size screws should I use?

3. If I am using the speakers for "front height" speakers, should the tweeter be oriented on the inside or outside?

Thanks again!

I am surprised too. Our threaded insert spacing is based on the well established spacing Omnimount uses on their brackets, which is "sort of" an industry standard. No real industry standard exists.

No problem at all drilling into the enclosure and using wood screws. Be sure that the wood screws installed form an air-tight seal, some silicon caulk or similar on the threads would be recommended.

davef
11-21-2014, 03:50 AM
Thanks Dave! I appreciate the response.

I do have a couple of questions.

1. Can I attach the mount to the other end ("top") the speaker, so the speaker will be "upside-down"?

---> Yep, no problem at all.

2. What size screws should I use?

--> I would recommend a wood screw with a length of 3/4"

3. If I am using the speakers for "front height" speakers, should the tweeter be oriented on the inside or outside?

--> with tweeters on the outside, you will get a wider soundstage, with more diffused sound. With tweeters on the inside, a smaller soundstage but more precise imaging. Go with whichever sounds best to you.

Thanks again!

See above