PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy (Sierra 1s)

donaldekelly
09-21-2014, 03:43 PM
To buy or not to buy (Sierra 1s)

Sorry for all the naval gazing – but maybe you all can help with my decision process – or at least correct any misinformation I have.

I am going through my 2-3000 piece cd collection and selling off most of it slowly as I will never listen to most of them again. But I still like music – so what to do? Upgrade my speakers. I have CBM 170s classic. They sound pretty good but I have read that there is better for not too much more. But I have several hoops to jump through before I lay out $700-800 for a used or B-Stock pair.

Hoop 1: Social responsibility – sorry to be so introspective or philosophical – but I can be appalled at rich people who spend all their time making money and buying toys when not far away people don’t have enough to eat. And I live and work with social justice types – so for many reasons I want to do what is “right” with my money. One of them “types” is my wife.
But the most recommended book on simple living – Your Money or Your Life – makes the point that one can simplify successfully not by forbidding any pleasure in life, but by not wasting money on things that don’t really matter to you. You spend only on things that are important to you and have money left over to give away or to allow flexibility in employment. Anyway, a long way of saying that it is not very practical to deprive oneself of all pleasures but much better to allow the things that really matter to you – like speakers in my case.
Added to this is the fact that buying ascends is already being thrifty, and if one has old speakers to sell – the total lay out can be less than $500. And by downsizing my cd collection – I may break even or better. I think I have jumped through hoop 1.

Hoop 2: Room acoustics. Reading here and on AVS and GearSlutz has convinced me that room acoustics are probably more important than speaker quality. Forum member FirstReflection started me down this path actually. Someone on AVS said that the only factor that trumps room acoustics is WAF. Funny but true! So I have invested in some bass traps – three so far. The sound has definitely improved in my listening room. But like a lot of people – I am running out of places to put traps that will look okay – and running straight into the omnipotent WAF in trying to find more bass trap places. Plus traps are cheaper than speakers so I can always add a few more later if I find a reasonable place for them. (And I really need to measure the room before buying anymore – rather than treating blindly or “on faith.”) The room may be more important – but I may have optimized that as much as I can. Rooms are much more critical for recording or mixing. I just buy and listen. Made it through hoop 2.

Hoop 3: Value. A no brainer – from reading all around Sierras get amazing reviews across the boards. No one seems to have a bad word about them. 98% glowing reviews. In fact I don’t remember a bad review by a professional or a consumer. I am sure there must be some.
Reviews not from this forum are particularly convincing. One would expect people who bought Ascends to think they are great. But AVS and other places give them resounding compliments. Great quality for a lower than expected price. And compared with my 170s – much better than an already highly rated speaker.

Hoop 4: WAF. Again a no brainer – the speakers are smallish and stylish. Better looking than the 170s which the spousal unit already thinks are fine. And the money aspect of it is just shifting from what I already had to something different with money left over in all likelihood.

Hoop 5: My own ignorance. I feel confident that the Sierras are as good and likely better than anything else I can get for the same price.
*But what is a 1) RAAL and what is a 2) NRT? I think I got the gist of that – NRT is the $300 upgrade, the RAAL probably more costly but better sound. I assume the Sierra 1s can be upgraded to RAAL? And one can then add a better woofer to make them Sierra 2s? (In all cases the crossover needs upgrading too).
*What is shipping – in case I get the 1’s and try them out – what am I going to have to pay if I don’t think they are worth the cost? Can one really ship back to California for $36? Not a bad price to be guaranteed of satisfaction.

Conclusion - So I guess having tried to think it all out - it makes sense to buy a pair with the basic tweeters, indulge upgraditis later on when needed with the NRT upgrade. Maybe one day sell them and get Sierra 2s. And hope David F doesn’t come up with Sierra 3s that sound even better. (I suppose the towers are the Sierra 1.5s or 2.5s for those not needing bookshelves.)

natetg57
09-21-2014, 04:38 PM
I agree that Sierra-1's would be an excellent upgrade for you. Noticeably more detailed and refined. I would also recommend ordering the q plugs to customize the bass response.

donaldekelly
09-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Nate

I am close to convincing myself to buy. A couple questions

1) magnetic shielding useful? I don't have any magnetic tapes laying around. The speakers would be two to three feet from the TV.

2) Do most people stop using their sub with Sierra's? Just got a new Hsu STF-2. Wondering if I should sell that now. Of course - after I hear the Sierras.

3) Do most people get the tweeter upgrade? I noticed it is cheaper to do it when ordering rather than later on - but I guess you get a rebate when you send the old tweeters back?

Thanks

donaldekelly
09-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Oh and

4) Q plugs - only $31 to make on wall or small room bass better. I guess you try it and see? Do most people like the Q plugs (A and B). I would probably use the B depending on how it sounded. Might save some money on bass traps.

natetg57
09-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Thanks, Nate

I am close to convincing myself to buy. A couple questions

1) magnetic shielding useful? I don't have any magnetic tapes laying around. The speakers would be two to three feet from the TV.

2) Do most people stop using their sub with Sierra's? Just got a new Hsu STF-2. Wondering if I should sell that now. Of course - after I hear the Sierras.

3) Do most people get the tweeter upgrade? I noticed it is cheaper to do it when ordering rather than later on - but I guess you get a rebate when you send the old tweeters back?

Thanks

1. Magnetic shielding is unnecessary unless you have an old crt tv/monitor very close to the speakers

2. Some use a sub and some don't. It might depend on what type of music you listen to.

3. Not most. Most that had the NRT upgrade liked it. http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/blog/2011/06/06/ascend-acoustics-sierra-1-nrt-review/A few prefer the more laid back tweeter of the Sierra-1's. (Which is still excellent and better than the tweeter in the 170's) The Sierra-2 is a much more significant improvement. To me it sounds clearer and more natural in every way. Because of the limited vertical dispersion of the ribbon tweeter it is an excellent match to non treated rooms. Compared side by side with the Sierra-1's, the 2's are better but the Sierra-1's don't sound 'bad' in any way to me. (I have Sierra-2's for fronts and Sierra-1's for surrounds. The Sierra-2 upgrade can be performed later on if you want to spread out the cost. Of course it's cheaper ($1450/pair) to buy them complete. I think either the Sierra-1 or the Sierra-2 are a fantastic value. The tweeter refund is only for upgrading to the 2's.

4. The q-plugs helped in my room. Especially with the ones closer to the wall.

donaldekelly
09-28-2014, 06:34 AM
Thanks

donaldekelly
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Ordered b stock sierra 1 pair today. Listening to Biber on my 170s at the moment. They sound very good.

Biber and Bieber a huge difference!

donaldekelly
10-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Tweeter height question

I understand that tweeters should be ear level. If I use the cbm stands for sierras that would be a few inches high. But I understand that may be fine. Any comments

Thanks

Mag_Neato
10-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Tweeter height question

I understand that tweeters should be ear level. If I use the cbm stands for sierras that would be a few inches high. But I understand that may be fine. Any comments

Thanks

Actually, Dave has stated that the acoustical center of the speaker is halfway between the tweeter and woofer, so being a bit high is fine. The chair I currently use for my listening puts my ears slightly above the top of the cabinet and it still sounds fine, but I am considering either raising the speakers somehow or replacing the chair.

donaldekelly
10-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks