PDA

View Full Version : Proper care/maintenance of bamboo?

Sivar
09-10-2014, 11:19 AM
I know that bamboo is a grass with properties similar to hardwood, but I am unfamiliar with the finer points of care and maintenance. The photos of the bamboo finish (I haven't seen it in person just yet) look stunning and I'd like to keep them that way for many years.

A quick Google search recommends dusting and occasional use of linseed or flax oil, but that is for bamboo furniture which perhaps has a different finish and of course a different usage (I don't plan to set coffee mugs on such nice speakers!)
Do the cabinet makers recommend for or against anything? What do current owners do?

curtis
09-10-2014, 11:27 AM
For me...dusting and occasional furniture spray with a microfiber cloth has done the trick.

The gloss finishes...more care may be needed.

essneff
09-10-2014, 12:30 PM
I know that bamboo is a grass with properties similar to hardwood, but I am unfamiliar with the finer points of care and maintenance. The photos of the bamboo finish (I haven't seen it in person just yet) look stunning and I'd like to keep them that way for many years.

A quick Google search recommends dusting and occasional use of linseed or flax oil, but that is for bamboo furniture which perhaps has a different finish and of course a different usage (I don't plan to set coffee mugs on such nice speakers!)
Do the cabinet makers recommend for or against anything? What do current owners do?

Any wood or Bamboo product that has a topcoat (Lacquer, Varnish or Water-borne) is not compatible with Linseed or Flaxseed Oil . These finishes are penetrants and reside in the outer layers of the wood.
Topcoats such as used on these speakers should be dusted. Murphy's Oil Soap can be used to clean them. You could follow up a cleaning with furniture wax either paste or spray then buff for shine. I have never worked projects or jobs with Bamboo but would venture to say that it would not absorb
oils given it's hardness. I can't answer to how Bamboo absorbs stain. I guess Toner spray could be utilized for coloring/evening the exterior finish. The modern Topcoats are very durable and with proper care can look great for a long time.

Sivar
09-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Thank you essnef and curtis for the information. I am glad I asked. I'll stick with dusting and, if for some strange reason a speaker becomes dirty, with Murphy's Oil Soap.

davef
09-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Thank you essnef and curtis for the information. I am glad I asked. I'll stick with dusting and, if for some strange reason a speaker becomes dirty, with Murphy's Oil Soap.

The best way to clean the satin finished Sierra speakers is with a microfiber cloth. I do not recommend using Murphy's Oil Soap or any type of cleaning solution. Here is a link to the cloths we recommend: http://www.microfibertech.com/large-suede-optical-microfiber-cloth-12x16.html