PDA

View Full Version : Old subwoofer or new

DNAer
08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
I just ordered a pair of Sierra-2's that hopefully will be delivered when the next shipment of tweeters come in. They are replacing an old pair of Lineaum speakers that I have had for 20 years (old school ribbons) in a living room setup.

In that setup, I also have a 20 year old Klipsch SW8 subwoofer and a new Outlaw RR2150 receiver. I am wondering if I should replace the old sub with a new one. A couple of things that have been rolling around in my head in the decision making process:

The Klipsch sub is rated down to 32hz +or- 3db.... do I need to go lower for a music only system?

It's an 8" sub with a 10" passive radiator driven by an internal 65 watt amp. Not exactly a powerhouse by today's standards ( I have an SVS in a home theater room that puts out about 10x that amount) but since I don't listen to music at ear bleeding levels, not sure if I need more.

Because it is in a living room the WAF is in effect:). I will probably have to stick with a small footprint to keep her happy which means 8 or 10 inch woofer...have the new designs in small enclosures made any advances?

I use a wireless transmitter to the sub for placement reasons. Do the wireless transmitters affect sound quality of a sub. If they do, a new sub would be a moot point

So that is my thought process. Since I just bought new Sierra-2's and a new Outlaw receiver I'm just not sure if it's time to replace the sub too. I don't want to replace it just to replace it but if I can get more enjoyment out of the system based on the way I use it then why not.
Any thoughts on this or is there anything else I should be considering.
Thx

natetg57
08-18-2014, 07:31 PM
I like running a sub with my Sierra-2s but that's because it's very accurate. You might be satisfied with the Sierra-2s by themselves without a sub. If you do get one, I'd suggest a Rythmik. I think any sub with hint of boominess will detract from the clarity of the Sierra-2s.

DaveHo
08-19-2014, 02:14 PM
IMHO, the Klipsch sub is not at the same level as the rest of your system. If the Rythmik offerings are too large, have a look at REL. They make some smaller subs & are known for making very musical subs as well. What kind of budget did you have in mind?

-Dave

DNAer
08-28-2014, 02:40 PM
IMHO, the Klipsch sub is not at the same level as the rest of your system. If the Rythmik offerings are too large, have a look at REL. They make some smaller subs & are known for making very musical subs as well. What kind of budget did you have in mind?

-Dave

Well I just bought a new Marantz CD6005 CD player to add into the mix. Great reviews on sound quality and I like that I can run my IPhone or IPad through the USB port and use the excellent DAC in the Marantz and bypass the media player crap-Dac. Still kicking around the idea of upgrading my sub so I appreciate the responses you guys have given. Thx