PDA

View Full Version : I finally am offically crazy

Harro
07-12-2014, 05:44 AM
After about 9 months of wanting more from my set up. (340's and 170's) I have finally come to a decision to go DIY on my front L/C/R. My thought progression was heading for the Sierra Horizons for all three or the JTR 228's for the fronts. Both comparably in cost with great support on both sides. With numerous PM's sent to owners on both sides of the fence I thought I had come to the conclusion of the JTR 228's over the Horizons. But the more I hang out on avsforum, the diy section kept drawing me into a dark and darker place with a hallucination of wild dreams of subwoofers dancing and front mains marching as if they were the mop and bucket in the movie "Fantasia" dumping more and more information into an already diluted brain. As the frenzy continued to a frantic pace with each and everyday starting with reading more and more on diy, I had become an addict, with the likes of a crack addict searching for that next fix, eyes blood shot, mouth drooling with anticipation of the next great word of wisdom from other crack addicts of the audio world.

I finally broke and needed to join the dark side of diy and ordered 3 Elusive 1099's (http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/fusion-1099.html). As with any addict, my craving is fixed but the anticipation of it all is still at an all time high.

I am hoping to have these complete and A-B test them with the Sierra towers if Audiolover and I can get together on a date for a comparison. I am expecting the Towers to have a smoother high end with the 1099's a authoritative mid end. We will see. If the 1099's fail to met my expectations, I will again be looking for that next fix with the Horizon and the 228's thrown back into the addictive circle.

In the meantime I am still loving the 340's and 170's for all my needs and can thank Dave for getting me hooked on Audio Crack. :)

markie
07-12-2014, 07:55 AM
lol, yeah I've heard the DIY route can be somewhat ... harrowing ;o

Looking forward to your comparisons, good luck!

Audiolover458
07-16-2014, 11:25 AM
After about 9 months of wanting more from my set up. (340's and 170's) I have finally come to a decision to go DIY on my front L/C/R. My thought progression was heading for the Sierra Horizons for all three or the JTR 228's for the fronts. Both comparably in cost with great support on both sides. With numerous PM's sent to owners on both sides of the fence I thought I had come to the conclusion of the JTR 228's over the Horizons. But the more I hang out on avsforum, the diy section kept drawing me into a dark and darker place with a hallucination of wild dreams of subwoofers dancing and front mains marching as if they were the mop and bucket in the movie "Fantasia" dumping more and more information into an already diluted brain. As the frenzy continued to a frantic pace with each and everyday starting with reading more and more on diy, I had become an addict, with the likes of a crack addict searching for that next fix, eyes blood shot, mouth drooling with anticipation of the next great word of wisdom from other crack addicts of the audio world.

I finally broke and needed to join the dark side of diy and ordered 3 Elusive 1099's (http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/fusion-1099.html). As with any addict, my craving is fixed but the anticipation of it all is still at an all time high.

I am hoping to have these complete and A-B test them with the Sierra towers if Audiolover and I can get together on a date for a comparison. I am expecting the Towers to have a smoother high end with the 1099's a authoritative mid end. We will see. If the 1099's fail to met my expectations, I will again be looking for that next fix with the Horizon and the 228's thrown back into the addictive circle.

In the meantime I am still loving the 340's and 170's for all my needs and can thank Dave for getting me hooked on Audio Crack. :)

CURT!!! You trying to write a Thriller there??
Yes, there is no reason why we could not get together for a comparison one weekend day. Dave says the Cabinets are here so maybe I will get the Towers at the End of the Month.
If we can do it soon enough we can throw the Regular Sierra1's in the mix as well before I return them to Ascend.
And yes you are on crack to go for those 1099's but that thread sure is addictive.

Audiolover458
08-06-2014, 04:34 PM
POST those photos CURT!! ;-) ;-) or is that not allowed here?

Harro
08-07-2014, 03:51 AM
I don't feel it would be appropriate, seeing as this is Ascends forum. If any one is interested I have some pictures at avsforum in the DIY section under the thread 1099.