PDA

View Full Version : For watching movies and tv best speakers

Grimed
04-28-2014, 10:08 PM
The system will be used mostly for tv shows but when I am home and have the time I like to watch a good movie. My wife will also listen to some music when I am awy at work.

I have decided to buy some speakers from Ascend. Before I do, I want to make sure I get the right fronts and center for what I use it for.

My room is 20 x 20 and has a lage opening in the rear.

I have a PB 2000 sub may be getting a Denon x4000 if not i will use a Denon x2000.

I have not see a lot about the S-2 speaker but what i have seen is very good.
The Cm-340 seem to be very popular, also may be better with the size of the room I have.
Or maybe I would be better of getting the S-1 and save some money at first then get the upgrade kit later on.

Any recomendations. I dont want to spend the xtra cost for the S-2 if the 340 woould be better of for the size of my room and what I use it for.
I only bring this up becasue most of the reviews I see talk about the S-2 listing to music not movies.

Many thanks and any recomendations would be of great help

natetg57
04-29-2014, 05:40 AM
I think it's only about your budget. The Sierra-2 will be much better than the 340 and will easily go loud enough to fill your room with sound. Everything you've read about the Sierra-2s with music will also apply to movies.

choirbass
04-29-2014, 08:53 AM
+1 to above

Wrote a very small review earlier this year:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?5628-Sierra-2-s-Arrived!-D

curtis
04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
I agree with Nate and choirbass....it really comes down to budget and what you want to spend.

The Sierra-2 is a great speaker, but the CMT-340SE is no slouch and is probably Ascend's best bang for the buck.

Sakome
04-29-2014, 05:58 PM
I am actually in a similar situation myself. I just ordered a set of L/C/R Ascend CM-340 and they are finally on their way, but I wonder now... should I have gotten the Sierra 2 instead? The cost different is large but I am 2nd guessing myself now. This will be my first surround set.

choirbass
04-29-2014, 08:43 PM
It does come down to budget, really. All are excellent monitors, the next step up in price is largely due to the components used, hence it will simply sound 'better' as a result. The Sierra-2 is different than what you may be used to, there simply is close to zero inaccuracy or energy decay. Better is better, but that ironically may also not be preferred, either. It does take getting used to, but if you do spend the time to (hopefully not pressured, mind you, lol), lesser quality speakers may end up sounding like just that.

Closing your eyes to imagine while listening, may be the easiest way to 'see' if they really are for you.

Either way, there is a 30 day trial, with all of the monitors.

Harro
05-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I fully understand why everyone is pushing for the Sierra's but I have to say the 340's are great speakers at the price point. I have the 340's and 170's making up a 9.3 surround system and can tell you that friends that come over are highly impressed. Impressed so much that they are offering to buy them for their house. One friend said after listening; said he wanted to go home and use his hammer to destroy his sound bar and tv. LOL
I think for a starter system it would be hard to beat at their price. This was my thought when I bought them, get the feel for what Ascends sounds like and upgrade when the money is available. Beside I believe the 340's would be an easy sale on the open market, helping with that next purchase.

FirstReflect
05-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Just to muddy the suggestion waters a bit:

For someone who is a little bit "on the fence", I recommend getting the Sierra-1. They're not drastically more expensive than the CMT-340SE, so the cost differential isn't such a deterrent. But you then have the option of upgrading them to the Sierra-1 NrT (which would match brilliantly with the standard Towers or standard Horizon), or upgrading them to the Sierra-2 (which match very, very well in timbre and tone to the RAAL Towers and RAAL Horizon).

So to me, the Sierra-1 is the safest choice when you're looking for a balance of cost, performance, and upgradability :)