PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Listening Distance

Chucka
04-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Can you please advise what you suggest shoud be the MINIMUM listening distance for the Sierra-2, Sierra-Tower, and Sierra-Horizontal?

natetg57
04-16-2014, 03:03 AM
Can you please advise what you suggest shoud be the MINIMUM listening distance for the Sierra-2, Sierra-Tower, and Sierra-Horizontal?

Will you be using these speakers along with a sub? Using a crossover can allow for closer wall placement.
Since the Horizon is front ported, it could be placed the closest to a wall. But since sound waves travel all around the cabinet, any speaker will be affected by 'boundary reinforcement'. I think I've heard that these speakers can be placed within a few inches if necessary.

Chucka
04-16-2014, 07:33 AM
I am sorry but my question is not how close to the wall these speakers should be but rather what the minimum distance is recomended from a single speaker (between these various speaker models) and the listener to be perceived as a single source. Thank You for your response.

natetg57
04-16-2014, 01:54 PM
I am sorry but my question is not how close to the wall these speakers should be but rather what the minimum distance is recomended from a single speaker (between these various speaker models) and the listener to be perceived as a single source. Thank You for your response.
I am so sorry. I totally misread your post. I apparently was way too tired to reply intelligently. Here is a quote from Dave under the thread 'Sierra 2 Listening Impressions'

DaveF: "The S2's are excellent for near field listening. I do at least half of my listening of the two's near field. That stated, near field is considered less than 1 meter away from the speaker -- at 5-7' distance, you are in what I would consider the standard listening distance of the speaker."

Chucka
04-16-2014, 02:37 PM
I am so sorry. I totally misread your post. I apparently was way too tired to reply intelligently. Here is a quote from Dave under the thread 'Sierra 2 Listening Impressions'

DaveF: "The S2's are excellent for near field listening. I do at least half of my listening of the two's near field. That stated, near field is considered less than 1 meter away from the speaker -- at 5-7' distance, you are in what I would consider the standard listening distance of the speaker."

Thanks Nate,

So the minimum suggested distance would be 5' for the Sierra-2. What would the suggested distance be for the Sierra-Tower where all speakers of this three way design are perceived as from a single source?

natetg57
04-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks Nate,

So the minimum suggested distance would be 5' for the Sierra-2. What would the suggested distance be for the Sierra-Tower where all speakers of this three way design are perceived as from a single source?

Dave is saying that he does half of his listening at less than 3ft away. I'm not sure about the towers, but I'd guess that 6-7 ft would be fine.

Chucka
04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Dave is saying that he does half of his listening at less than 3ft away. I'm not sure about the towers, but I'd guess that 6-7 ft would be fine.

This minimum distance suggestion is much appreciated as the initial system that I am putting together will have to be relocated to another location in a couple of years of much smaller dimensions, and whatever is purchased needs to be able to work in either room.

RicardoJoa
04-16-2014, 11:27 PM
This minimum distance suggestion is much appreciated as the initial system that I am putting together will have to be relocated to another location in a couple of years of much smaller dimensions, and whatever is purchased needs to be able to work in either room.

Dont worry about the speaker Sierrra 2 not been as a single source. Unless it is listening to withing a few inches, a properly in phase crossover, match levels and at the 3k point needs only 1 feet to make them sound as single source.
If Dave had use 1 m for its measurements, that alrady tell you that the drivers are well integrated at that distance for proper measurement. That goes with the towers.

Korkster
04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
I've only had my Sierra-2's for a week, so my time with them is limited, but so far, I'd have to say that they really shine as near field monitors. In fact, as I have been adjusting there positioning to try find the sweet spot from my sitting position, I've had my face within inches of each speaker, and they still sound very musical.
I think that sitting 5-7 feet away is probably ideal for these, especially for imaging, but my couch is about 11 feet away, so I have to do some tinkering yet. Unfortunately, I can't separate them much more than 6-7 feet apart, which would most likely help, but we'll figure it out.

davef
04-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Thanks Nate,

Hi Chucka,

Sorry for any confusion -- I believe you might have misread that post from Nate. The Sierra-2 drivers will sum together properly within only a few inches distance from the speaker. You can listen to these speakers positioned as close as you like to them, within reason of course ;)

Hope this helps!

davef
04-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Dont worry about the speaker Sierrra 2 not been as a single source. Unless it is listening to withing a few inches, a properly in phase crossover, match levels and at the 3k point needs only 1 feet to make them sound as single source.
If Dave had use 1 m for its measurements, that alrady tell you that the drivers are well integrated at that distance for proper measurement. That goes with the towers.

100% correct.. Thanks Ricardo.

Chucka
04-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks David,

While I had also asked about the Sierra-2, it was the minimum suggested listening distance for the Sierra-Tower and Center that I am most interested in as if purchased, they may need to be moved to a relatively small room within a couple of years where this may become a concern. Your thoughts regarding minimum suggested listening distance for the Sierra-Tower and Center would be appreciatd.

But asking another question about the Sierra-2's, do these new RAAL drivers have a wider VERTICAL dispersion compared to those used on the Sierra-Tower?

Thanks,

Chucka

RicardoJoa
04-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks David,

While I had also asked about the Sierra-2, it was the minimum suggested listening distance for the Sierra-Tower and Center that I am most interested in as if purchased, they may need to be moved to a relatively small room within a couple of years where this may become a concern. Your thoughts regarding minimum suggested listening distance for the Sierra-Tower and Center would be appreciatd.

But asking another question about the Sierra-2's, do these new RAAL drivers have a wider VERTICAL dispersion compared to those used on the Sierra-Tower?

Thanks,

Chucka

Im not Dave but love to discuss.

The two raals should have pretty close vertical off axis on the upper end due to similar lengths, with the raal on the sierra 2 slightly linear due to the shorter ribbon and a slightly rise on the upper ends on axis. But what differ is the range from the crossover down to mid.
Hopefully Dave can chim in as there is quiet a different between the two speakers.

One thing though, horizontal off axis measurement might be more meaning full for seated listener. If you stand, you probably walk around, so the vertical measurements is less of an importance. But if you listen at standing, then just raise the speakers to ear level.

SGCSG1
04-19-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm 7 or 8 feet from my RAAL towers and wouldn't want to be any closer. I'd be happier at 10 or 12 feet, but that's not possible.

The Sierra-2's, that's another story.....

davef
05-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Thanks David,

Thanks,

Chucka

All measurements and crossover design for the Sierra Tower and Sierra-2 are done with the mic at a distance of 1 meter away. For the towers, if you are sitting within about +/- 10 degs of the tweeter, the recommended listening distance of the towers would be 1 meter or more. If the Sierra Towers or Sierra-2 sound "different" at distances greater than 1 meter, it is not because of the speaker, but because of your room acoustics.

Due to a slightly shorter ribbon height in the Sierra-2 tweeters, they will have slightly greater vertical dispersion. Keep in mind, increased vertical directivity (lesser vertical dispersion) is rarely an issue and often a big plus in acoustically challenged rooms. With thousands of RAAL ribbons out there in our products now -- I honestly can not recall a single issue from anyone with regard to limited vertical dispersion.

Chucka
05-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Thanks David for your reply,

I expect to be in the LA/San Diego area some time this summer. I will try to contact you at that time to see if we can arrange in advance for an audition of the Sierra-2 and Towers.

Chuck

davef
05-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Thanks David for your reply,

I expect to be in the LA/San Diego area some time this summer. I will try to contact you at that time to see if we can arrange in advance for an audition of the Sierra-2 and Towers.

Chuck

Excellent!! We look forward to meeting you :)