PDA

View Full Version : Parasound A21 or ATI 2002

ematthews
04-08-2014, 08:51 AM
I am getting a new amp this week. Either the Parasound A21 or the ATI 2002.
The ATI is fully balanced and Made in the USA.
Parasound is more powerful at 250wx2 and I think we all have seen the great reviews on this amp.
The ATI is less expensive... But the reviews are outstanding as well. Built like a tank with a longer warranty.. I will just say I can get them within 200 dollars of each other.

What would you take? If it matters... Some say that Parasound tend to be warmer. I have no idea if this is true or not.

FirstReflect
04-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Both are great amps.

Parasound A21 runs in pure Class A for the first 10 Watts. It has a larger capacitor bank and higher peak power output. But it also runs hotter and has a slightly higher noise floor.

I'll be blunt and say that my personal preference is for the ATI. It is dead silent in its noise floor and linear as can be.

But you really cannot go wrong with either. For speakers like Ascend's that are easy to drive and - with the ribbon tweeters - exceedingly revealing of any noise floor, my preference is for the ATI. I'd much rather have a pure pool of black silence out of which comes staggeringly linear power vs. a very soft but still present hiss that is capable of being more dynamic, but likely never will be because the speakers simply do not require it.

Just my 2 cents, though :)

ematthews
04-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Being silent is key in my book... Noise is not an option for me. Thanks for maybe tipping the scale towards ATI for me.

curtis
04-08-2014, 01:10 PM
I use an older ATI 1505 and have been very happy with it.

ematthews
04-08-2014, 01:27 PM
I just ordered one of their 2000 series amps. I look forward to building up a new system with the Sierra 2's.

curtis
04-08-2014, 11:36 PM
I just ordered one of their 2000 series amps. I look forward to building up a new system with the Sierra 2's.
It's funny...I had dinner tonight with the person you bought your amp from. :)

ematthews
04-09-2014, 07:31 AM
It's funny...I had dinner tonight with the person you bought your amp from. :)
Small world.... Now I need to find a really good preamp. Leaning towards P5 Parasound.