PDA

View Full Version : My Sierra 2 with Rythmik vs Towers

ematthews
04-06-2014, 05:00 PM
I am loving the Sierra 2's and Rythmik 12 right now but I do feel something is missing. I always used floor standing speakers in the past. Is it not possible to get as full of a sound with bookshelves and sub when compared to towers? Or maybe I should say as loud and full. I am coming from Polk LSi15 towers and used them with a Martin Logan Grotto sub. The Polk's were set to high pass on the preamp as an FYI...
Something is missing somewhere... It's almost like the music is very lean with the smaller speakers. Just not sure. Any help?

Also.... Since I don't have the budget for Sierra towers with RAAL, I thought about picking up some
Monitor Audio RX6 towers... What could one expect comparing the RX6 with my Sierra 2's?
It wouldn't be a loss to purchase the Monitor Audio speakers since I am need another set of speakers in the bedroom system.

curtis
04-06-2014, 07:09 PM
I can't find measurements for the LSi15, but I did find some for the LSi9. If they measure similarly, I'd say you are used to the bass peak the speaker exhibits at about 100hz. If you cross at 80hz, you will get the effects of the hump.
http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/polkaudio_lsi9/

The RX6 may have the same characteristics from looking at Stereophile's measurements.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-rx6-loudspeaker-measurements

But Stereophile measures the bass response differently, because as such, the bass response is exaggerated in the measurement.

Have you tried setting the crossover higher to the sub, or perhaps trying a different position for the sub?

Maybe also try moving the Sierras' port closer to the wall.

natetg57
04-06-2014, 07:13 PM
I am loving the Sierra 2's and Rythmik 12 right now but I do feel something is missing. I always used floor standing speakers in the past. Is it not possible to get as full of a sound with bookshelves and sub when compared to towers? Or maybe I should say as loud and full. I am coming from Polk LSi15 towers and used them with a Martin Logan Grotto sub. The Polk's were set to high pass on the preamp as an FYI...
Something is missing somewhere... It's almost like the music is very lean with the smaller speakers. Just not sure. Any help?

Also.... Since I don't have the budget for Sierra towers with RAAL, I thought about picking up some
Monitor Audio RX6 towers... What could one expect comparing the RX6 with my Sierra 2's?
It wouldn't be a loss to purchase the Monitor Audio speakers since I am need another set of speakers in the bedroom system.

You are probably experiencing a lack of boominess. The Sierra-2's play only what's sent to them, nothing more. Take some time to get used to it and you'll probably come to appreciate the greater clarity and realism. If you have the ability, you could take some measurements to see if your room is sucking out or adding to certain frequencies. Also, make sure you are listening to high quality recordings.

markie
04-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Hi EM,

Interesting. I get the feeling you are missing out on some midbass. As others have said, it could be the Sierra and/or Rythmik presenting a less resonant and less bloated sound than what you are used to.

Or, it could be your particular setup interacting with your room resulting in a null around 70-80 hz. If it were me: I would listen at various places in the room, even right next to the walls, and see if it makes a major difference. I would even stand on a chair and see if the midbass increases up there, just out of curiosity.

(I assume you've played with the tone controls on the Marantz and still aren't getting the sound you want.)

Alternatively, I've heard stories where a changing phase setting has greatly helped. Have you played with the phase on the subwoofer? On rare occasions even reversing the polarity on the speakers has made a huge difference for the better.

Anyway, Monitor Audio is known for a strong mid bass, dynamics, and represents good value, although it would be a step down from the sierras imo.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Mark

ematthews
04-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks. I have not played with the tone controls. I always listen in direct mode... I will continue to make some changes to see what I find. Trust me, I would much rather put my money into electronics than more speakers.

davef
04-07-2014, 02:19 PM

Hi Eric,

I strongly recommend taking some measurements of your room so that we can see what you are hearing. http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Also, you might want to make sure that the speakers and subwoofer are in phase. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/phase1.html

ematthews
04-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi Eric,

I strongly recommend taking some measurements of your room so that we can see what you are hearing. http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Also, you might want to make sure that the speakers and subwoofer are in phase. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/phase1.html

Thanks... There isn't anything wrong... I firmly believe that it's my room and how I have it set up. I also agree that I am still not uses to these accurate speakers having owned nothing but low end junk in the past.

davef
04-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks... There isn't anything wrong... I firmly believe that it's my room and how I have it set up. I also agree that I am still not uses to these accurate speakers having owned nothing but low end junk in the past.

Taking some measurements is easy -- and I strongly recommend giving it a try, if not for trying to improve performance but even more for understanding what you are hearing. I think you would enjoy it :)