PDA

View Full Version : List of preamps with sub control

ematthews
03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
I have been searching for 2 channel preamps with sub controls. Are there only two makes that have this feature? Parasound and Emotiva are all I can find. Any help? Trying to keep the cost under 1200

postrokfan
03-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Amazingly enough there are few preamplifiers that have this feature. The Parasound 2100/P5 or the Emotiva USP-1 are your best bets. You might also consider the Emotiva XSP-1 or the Outlaw 975 processor.

ematthews
03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
You really think sn AV pre processer would be good for 2.1 music system? Interesting. That would really help in the speaker set up if true.

postrokfan
03-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Sure. It's a bit unorthodox but it could perform the task just fine. Of course, an AVR would be just fine as well. Incidentally, I have the Parasound 2100 and really like it. I do wish it had a variable high-pass crossover like the P5 however (2100 is 80 Hz fixed).

curtis
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Sure. It's a bit unorthodox but it could perform the task just fine. Of course, an AVR would be just fine as well. Incidentally, I have the Parasound 2100 and really like it. I do wish it had a variable high-pass crossover like the P5 however (2100 is 80 Hz fixed).
Agreed, A good AVR can be wonderful for 2.1 reproduction.

If you are strictly music, and don't need the newer codecs, you could go into the used market and get a great deal on a great sounding AVR or pre/pro.

ematthews
03-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Just music... Maybe I am a snob or have just gone with the flow but always thought a dedicated 2 channel would be much better for music... What I can't understand is how a 2 channel pre amp can be the same price as a loaded AVR.... That baffles me.

curtis
03-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Just music... Maybe I am a snob or have just gone with the flow but always thought a dedicated 2 channel would be much better for music... What I can't understand is how a 2 channel pre amp can be the same price as a loaded AVR.... That baffles me.
You, me, and a lot of other people as well.

postrokfan
03-15-2014, 11:48 AM

They sell large quantities of AVRs so that enables manufacturers to keep the price low. 2-channel gear is more of a niche market now (sadly enough) and naturally fewer units are made therefore the price is higher.

bkdc
03-17-2014, 02:28 PM
There are a lot of integrated stereo amplifiers with sub-outs. I guess a AVR is essentially a multi-channel integrated amplifier with a sub-out. But there are very few preamps with sub outs.

ematthews
03-17-2014, 02:39 PM
There are a lot of integrated stereo amplifiers with sub-outs. I guess a AVR is essentially a multi-channel integrated amplifier with a sub-out. But there are very few preamps with sub outs.
You are correct with the sub out like the Nad unit. This doesn't allow you to set the Sierra 2's to small. You would run them in full and try to blend the sub in with it. Not a bad option, but I do like the option of setting the Sierra's to small if I choose to.