PDA

View Full Version : T-amp question: 50 WPC good enough for 340 SE

shavian
03-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Hello forum,

I am considering the following t-amp to power my 340 SE:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier 60 WPC
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

These seem to be rated at 50 WPC continuous into an 8 ohm load.
Do I need to be worried about clipping? I don't intend to bi-amp.

Any ideas SQ wise, what can I expect? Currently I use an old Pioneer VSX 1015TX. Would I be missing a lot on the bass?

My source would be mobile phones / laptop.. mostly music ~95% of the time, movies not on very loud volume, either.

Any other suggestions for a cheap and slim amplifier which is wife friendly (less than 200$)?

drbump471
03-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Not sure if size works but I like my Emotiva Mini X a-100. I have it hooked up through my PC. They had it on sale for 169.....I don't think the sale is still going one though.

bkdc
03-11-2014, 01:03 PM
The only T-amp I have experience with is my Topping TP60 which has enough juice to drive most speakers to more than reasonable levels without issue. It's also a great amplifier. It has a slight tube-amp sound. And it costs less than $200. It does tend to blow its fuse, and I've had to replace the fuse in my TP60 about three times over three years.

Class-D amplifiers will also rank high on the WaF list but will tend to be more expensive. I have a few that I built for about $200 each when I purchased a bunch of ICEpower 125ASX modules on eBay. A prebuilt 125ASX amp probably sells for far far more (500 to 900 dollar range).

just4surf
03-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Hello forum,

I am considering the following t-amp to power my 340 SE:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier 60 WPC
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

These seem to be rated at 50 WPC continuous into an 8 ohm load.
Do I need to be worried about clipping? I don't intend to bi-amp.

Any ideas SQ wise, what can I expect? Currently I use an old Pioneer VSX 1015TX. Would I be missing a lot on the bass?

My source would be mobile phones / laptop.. mostly music ~95% of the time, movies not on very loud volume, either.

Any other suggestions for a cheap and slim amplifier which is wife friendly (less than 200$)?

I was in a similar situation. I wanted something small that my wife would be OK with in the bedroom. I went with the Topping TP30(recommeded by a Tech in parts express) for the 170SE. Initially, I was a bit skeptical, but after 6months, I am very satisfied. It does well in low to medium volume. But, with medium volume, it fills the medium sized bedroom well, so I am happy. For some unknown reason, I like the sound better than my HK receiver. Bass is sufficient. In fact, I felt it sounded tigher and better with this setup than when I had it in the living room with my HK. Hope this helps.

shavian
03-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks very much for all the great advise.

I will get either the Topping TP30 or TP60, leaning towards TP30 at the moment. I am not a big DIY person, so am concerned about the fuse issue on the TP60.

Will pair it with the 340SE and provide a feedback when I get it..

bkdc
03-17-2014, 03:52 AM
Thanks very much for all the great advise.

I will get either the Topping TP30 or TP60, leaning towards TP30 at the moment. I am not a big DIY person, so am concerned about the fuse issue on the TP60.

Will pair it with the 340SE and provide a feedback when I get it..

The TP60 fuse is easy to replace through the fuse compartment on the back. But since I switched to a slow blow ceramic fuse, I haven't had any fuse replacements. So I think the type of fuse being used was definitely an issue. Wow. TP60 prices have gone up in three years. I bought mine for $130.

shavian
04-18-2014, 02:57 AM
I finally ended up getting Topping TP20-MK2 MKII. Have used it for 3-4 weeks now. SQ wise its pretty good (to my less than audiophile quality ears).

One reason to get this and not the TP30 is that I was hoping this would have more power. I have never heard the TP30 so I wouldnt know the reality. But I think the power on this is decent enough. It seems to have something to do with the songs as well. At the highest level, some are louder than others.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the buy. Thank you all for the great suggestions.