PDA

View Full Version : Need help slecting speakers for 7.1

hemant21
02-21-2014, 11:32 AM
After spending numerous hrs on AVS and Ascend community forums I am leaning towards purchasing Sierra 2 for LCR or may be Horizon for center. I need some help selecting the remaining 4 speakers as room 16x17 is prewired for 7.1 and 2 side and 2 rears aare in the ceiling and thinking of going for 4 cieling speakers. Need help will it be ok to mix match with ascend or what might be a better solution.

Thanks

rsmt2000
02-22-2014, 08:01 AM
After spending numerous hrs on AVS and Ascend community forums I am leaning towards purchasing Sierra 2 for LCR or may be Horizon for center. I need some help selecting the remaining 4 speakers as room 16x17 is prewired for 7.1 and 2 side and 2 rears aare in the ceiling and thinking of going for 4 cieling speakers. Need help will it be ok to mix match with ascend or what might be a better solution.

Thanks

It is recommended that surround speakers should not be higher than 2 -3 feet from the ear level at the main listening position.

Also it all depends how critical your hearing is. You may or may not be able to pick all the subtleties between your front 3 speakers and the rear speakers if they are not from the same company ( timbre match ). Most of the folks lurking in this forum ARE very critical listeners who can pick a lot of very minor changges from speaker to speaker. If you are just getting started and do not have a critical ear you should probably get some decent in ceilings out there and be done with it.

Problem with in-ceiling speakers is that you cant keep changing them if you dont like them. Just try to get some which atleast have the ability to change the orientation of tweeters to point them to main listening position.

If on the other hand you are not confined to in ceilings you can try on-wall speakers. Ascends HTM 200s or NHT speakers can be mounted on walls. If you are choosy about RAAL on walls you can either ask Dave to get started:p or check out offerings from salksound but either of the options are $$$$.

Hope this helps

hemant21
02-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks rmst for great suggestions I will probably call Dave and start from there.