PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time with the new Sierra 2's

ematthews
02-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Never owned book shelf speakers before. Purchased the Sanus SF26 stands for these and I can tell already these will be an issue. There really isn't anyway to secure them. If my dog or cat or even my wife with a vacuum cleaner hits them then they will fall off the stands.
Has anyone ever tried a nylon strap to hold these down? I know this would look the best but is they any other option..
As I see it I may need to get Ascend stands for these. At least you can bolt these down so they won't fall off. They wouldn't be as attractive as the Sanus but....
Any thoughts.
By the way. The Sierra 2's are incredible sounding.

Mag_Neato
02-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Go up to your local Home Depot and look for "Quake Hold" putty, or Blue Tack is another possibility. You break off a dime sized piece and work it in your hand like silly putty. Put a piece near each corner of the top plate of the stand and set your speaker on this, pushing the speaker down until it touches the stand top plate. This is assuming there is a rubber or felt pad already on the plate. Once the putty sets those babies are not going anywhere. Removal will require you to put a foot on the stand base, then pull upwards with a twisting motion. The putty will not harm the finish.

ematthews
02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
I have some DAP brand blue putty at home. Is this the same thing?
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Reusable-Adhesive-Putty-1-Ounce/dp/B0017T0S5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392072558&sr=8-1&keywords=dap+blue+putty

ematthews
02-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Go up to your local Home Depot and look for "Quake Hold" putty, or Blue Tack is another possibility. You break off a dime sized piece and work it in your hand like silly putty. Put a piece near each corner of the top plate of the stand and set your speaker on this, pushing the speaker down until it touches the stand top plate. This is assuming there is a rubber or felt pad already on the plate. Once the putty sets those babies are not going anywhere. Removal will require you to put a foot on the stand base, then pull upwards with a twisting motion. The putty will not harm the finish.

Also. I installed the rubber plugs on the stand plate. These just pop on and off. Would I need to take off the rubber? I did not install the pads that come with the speakers either... I assume that you would not using any rubber pads and use the blue putty only between the speakers and base plate. Correct me if I am wrong.

curtis
02-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I have some DAP brand blue putty at home. Is this the same thing?
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Reusable-Adhesive-Putty-1-Ounce/dp/B0017T0S5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392072558&sr=8-1&keywords=dap+blue+putty
If that's what you have, it should work fine.

Also. I installed the rubber plugs on the stand plate. These just pop on and off. Would I need to take off the rubber? I did not install the pads that come with the speakers either... I assume that you would not using any rubber pads and use the blue putty only between the speakers and base plate. Correct me if I am wrong.
You assume correctly.

TheHolyCannoli
02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Here's another option that I'm currently using. Buy a roll of gaffer's taper and adhesive backed velcro. Cut a few small strip of the gaffer tape and apply to the bottom of the speaker. You can do the same to the top of the stand as well. The gaffer's tape can be removed cleanly without leaving behind residue. The velcro provides a strong hold and also allows you to quickly reposition the speaker as needed.

billy p
02-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Yup...blue tac worked really well sets fast....and it won't harm the speakers afterwards & comes off rather easily. Have you added any fill... yet? That would help stabilized them further.

eRob
02-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Get those Sierra's secured. I have the same exact stands filled with sand and am using blu-tack. Very sturdy, works great!

ematthews
02-12-2014, 05:57 PM
How secure would this be if a cat jumped on them.

billy p
02-13-2014, 05:21 AM
How big a cat are we talking about....:D....jk. I used play sand...others have used buck shot pellets which would further weight down and soldify your stands. The choice is yours...it's a small price to pay for that added piece of mind...it would take some doing to knock them over if you go that route!

With kids and pets nothing is 100% full proof around the house.:)

ematthews
02-13-2014, 05:25 AM
I used cat liter in the stands. My cat likes to jump up on things. Didn't even think of this when I purchased the stands. Just a little over worried. I love these new speakers and don't want a scratch on them.

eliwankenobi
02-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Put spikes around them.. LOL!

Edit: sorry, that may be a little insensitive, if you fill the stands with sand all the way, the weight will increase substantially... They will nit fall due to a cat stumbling on them...Maybe a big sized dog or something.. But not a cat

curtis
02-13-2014, 01:55 PM
If I had a cat, I'm not sure I would have put cat litter in the stands.

I would imagine the scent would cause the cat to be curious. Like "am I suppose to do my business around here?"