PDA

View Full Version : Sierra just dropped...

ematthews
02-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Wow... This speaker is exceptional...In looks.. Now I just need to get home to hook it up.
Will be raining all day tomorrow. It will be a perfect day to listen all day.
My only worry. I really need to find a better room for my music. Everything sounds very bass lite in this room. Including subs.... I worry that these will be the same until I can treat the room.

ats_phd
02-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Congratulations!

Your speaker blend right in :) and please do post your impressions

ATS

ematthews
02-07-2014, 12:07 PM
If you are referring to the pic.... That's my work. Would love to have it here to listen to. Nice acoustics in the warehouse.

eliwankenobi
02-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Try setting them up near field... put them about 3-4 ft away from you...

jahjd2000
02-07-2014, 03:46 PM
What a cool looking speaker! Enjoy. I'm thinking about upgrading my Horizon to RAAL. Was this an upgrade or did you purchase it as a Sierra 2?

ematthews
02-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Try setting them up near field... put them about 3-4 ft away from you...
What would setting them up near field do?
These were a new purchase.

Hlam
02-08-2014, 02:36 AM
If you are referring to the pic.... That's my work. Would love to have it here to listen to. Nice acoustics in the warehouse.

Take my advice and don't even think about setting these speakers up anywhere near your workplace.
These speakers are EVIL!!!
They will hold you hostage and demand that you listen to music for hours on end. You may as well close up shop if you hook these up at work.

eliwankenobi
02-08-2014, 04:09 AM
What would setting them up near field do?
These were a new purchase.

The idea is to minimize room interactions as much as possible. You mininize reflections from walls and other adjacent surfaces. Put them on stands if you have some or on top of boxes in the middle of the room forming an equilateral triangle between you and the speakers. Set them about 3 to 4 ft apart and point the tweeters at your ears. That should do it. Since you mentioned you need a better room to use just for music, sitting closer to them will not affect their performance. You will get a smaller sweet spot, but will also get better bass as you'll also be closer to the bass source. I suggest this so you can quickly listen and test how good these things are without having to worry about other things... Not necessarily a permanent sution. You can later play with speaker positioning and/or adding a subwoofer until you find the response you want. But trust me, these do good bass when called for.

ematthews
02-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Got them going today. So far so good. I really want to crank these up...Is it ok or do these require a break in? Coming from a tower will be an adjustment. I also listen to music loud...Help?

curtis
02-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Got them going today. So far so good. I really want to crank these up...Is it ok or do these require a break in? Coming from a tower will be an adjustment. I also listen to music loud...Help?
It's ok...no speaker should require break-in for you to turn them up.

Enjoy!

ematthews
02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Holy crap. I just hooked up my ML Grotto sub and it sounds really nice with these.. Alone without a sub just wasn't deep enough for my taste. I tried to locate the Sierra specs again and couldn't. Can anyone tell me the specs. I need to set my crossover at 70% and I am trying to figure it out.

natetg57
02-08-2014, 09:27 PM
It really depends on your room. The sierra's can extend down into the 40's. In my room though, I have a big dip between 60 and 80hrz. So with the crossover set at 60 I lose a lot of upper bass. I would at the least try some different settings and maybe consider purchasing a measurement mike or spl meter to use with REW.