View Full Version : Cbm-170se

eep2378
01-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Hello all,
I'm considering these for a 3.1 system in my living room. Its a 13x18 room. I'm wondering how these will perform with movies/TV in terms of dialogue and clarity. I've auditioned the Def Tech SM45 and Monitor Audio BX1. Honestly I preferred the BX1 as it sounded more clean and accurate. I think I'm beginning to realize that I prefer a more neutral speaker but I'm not quite sure yet. I plan of streaming a lot of music via DLNA to my HT. Is there anyone here in the Massachusetts area that has these I could listen to? Thanks

rifmon
01-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Hello

I had that exact same set up. Three 170 SE's and a sub. My room is a little larger.

All I can say is that these speakers are very neutral and would probably make darn good studio monitors. They are very clear and articulate. I had no problems hearing dialogue in shows and movies. Plenty volume and great sound for little$

I sold the whole thing off to have a dedicated two channel set up with Sierra 1's but I lived with and enjoyed that set up for 12 years!

Is there any way you can audition the Ascends right next to those Monitor Audios? I think you can order the Ascends for a listen with only risking the return shipping costs. Not totally sure on that but it's worth a try if there is no one close to you for an audition.

eep2378
01-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks! I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, I can't get the Monitor Audio and Ascends together for a listen. Hopefully someone is nearby. If not, I may just use the 30 trial they offer.

Btw, one odd note: I emailed Ascend two days ago with the same questions, but no response yet.

rifmon
01-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks! I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, I can't get the Monitor Audio and Ascends together for a listen. Hopefully someone is nearby. If not, I may just use the 30 trial they offer.

Btw, one odd note: I emailed Ascend two days ago with the same questions, but no response yet.

The 30 day trial is a great feature for an internet audio sale. If no one is nearby it is a great option. Especially when you consider that you will be able to hear the speakers in your own listening room vs listening to a set in someone else's home. The room is half the sound.

They must be busy with all of the new roll-outs in Sierra 2 upgrade kits and web site updates. I sent an email inquiry last weekend and also have not heard back. I may have sent my question to the wrong department. There are several choices in the contact info section.