PDA

View Full Version : Best remedy for Piano Black hairline scratches?

rifmon
01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Hello all,

I have had my Sierra 1's for almost a year now and still loving them. I'll eventually upgrade to the 2's or just buy a set new but in the mean time, I am enjoying them immensely!

I bought them second-hand and there are some fine hairline scratches as well as what appears to be more like scuffs on parts of the sides of the speakers. It almost appears as though on one side of each speaker, they were slid into something causing a small concentrated surface scuffs.

So I've been reading through these threads on the topic: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?2743-Using-a-quality-car-wax-on-the-sierras

One of the suggestions in that thread is to use Meguiars SCRATCH X. So I went into an auto store and I saw Meguiars SCRATCH X 2.0 which may not be the same as Meguiars SCRATCH X. (I read somewhere that you should not use version 2.0 but I don not remember where.) Every time I Google Meguiars SCRATCH X, Meguiars SCRATCH X 2.0 comes up;
http://www.autogeek.net/megscratxfin.html?gclid=CNG93ejknLwCFelZ7AodmUcAkw

I also saw Meguiars Clear Coat Polishing in the auto store;
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g18116-polishing-compound/

Would that be a good thing to try?

Thanks for any input, insights or past experiences that may help!

rifmon
01-27-2014, 02:46 AM
The other suggestion is to use a Porter Cable orbital polisher with one of the Menzerna products. I think this version:

http://www.amazon.com/Menzerna-H0813-Yellow-Polishing-Compound/dp/B0000DD1L0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Would I need an expensive high speed orbital for this? I am thinking a polishing pad on a drill would not be sufficient.

Just trying to fix these scratches in case I ever try to sell these or upgrade them to the Sierra 2.

(Can you tell I'm becoming obsessed with fixing these cabinets?) :(

P Seastrand
01-27-2014, 10:41 AM
If you go with a power device, make sure it's a random orbital. If you try to use a pad on a drill, it will just create swirl marks and you'll be very disappointed. Even if you hand-polish you have to be careful to "randomize" your movements.

rifmon
01-27-2014, 11:03 AM
If you go with a power device, make sure it's a random orbital. If you try to use a pad on a drill, it will just create swirl marks and you'll be very disappointed. Even if you hand-polish you have to be careful to "randomize" your movements.

Sound advise. Thanks! I would not have known that for either power tool of by-hand method.

I may go the conservative route first: by hand. Would Meguiar's Polishing Compound (states it is Clear Coat Safe) be safe to try? I can't locate the Meguiar's Scratch X that Dave recomended in that discussion I referenced above. I can only find Meguiar's Scratch x 2.0 and I'm not sure if it is the same or not.

Sorry for all the detailed questions. I just do not want to make the problem worse. If working this by hand doesn't work I'll get a random orbital tool.

Previously I used Nu Finish Scratch Doctor to remove a general cloudiness from the tops of these speakers at Dave's suggestion and it worked fantastic. Yesterday I tried it to work off a surface scratch and for that it proved ineffective.

Thanks!

petmotel
01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Whatever method/materials you use, start with an experimental application on the bottom to see how it will work, so if it does something you don't like, it won't show.

Jay

rifmon
01-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Whatever method/materials you use, start with an experimental application on the bottom to see how it will work, so if it does something you don't like, it won't show.

Jay

Thanks I will do that

I may try Meguiar's Polishing Compound since Meguiar's products have a good reputation.

I'll update the results since I suspect piano black finishes are susceptible to these type of scratches.

merrymaid520
01-27-2014, 12:46 PM
I have used my PC random orbital on my hand rubbed PB towers with great success using the meguiars pro line.

The PB shows very fine scratches just after long periods of dusting.

They look awesome clean but a PIA to maintain:)

rifmon
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Well, I found the plain old Meguiar's X. Not the X-2. So I will try that by hand first in an inconspicuous area. I'll use a micro fiber in a random pattern as suggested above.

If it improves a little and I want to go forward and do more, I'll buy a PC random orbital. By that time I may have more confidence. Thanks for all of the input!

P Seastrand
01-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

JustABrah
01-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Isn't the 2.0 just the newer version?

rifmon
01-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Isn't the 2.0 just the newer version?

I'm not sure if it is newer or a different version. I did see a thread somewhere (not here) where a poster made a point to not use 2.0 but that was all that was said. Nothing afterwards,.. no one asking the poster what it meant or why. But from my standpoint, since I don't know, I am playing it safe. Unless someone here knows that it is indeed simply the new version and is fine for my intended purpose.

Thanks… I will let you know what results I get with this conservative and safe approach!

rifmon
01-28-2014, 02:49 AM
I swear,… yesterday or last night this was $13.00. This morning it is $20.00? :confused: and :mad:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34217756?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227022642165&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=35311552381&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=63847431781&veh=sem

rifmon
01-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Update. So I used Meguiar's scratch 2.0 and it worked (and it didn't work?)

It did remove the scratches after several applications. I used PEAK Foam applicator Pads and applied it in random patterns and after I rubbed that in on one side of the speaker, I buffed it all off successfully using PEAK SPA Polishing Towels. SO yes the major majority of the scratches came off. I have no doubt that if I did this a few moe times it would all be eliminated.

Overall it looks great. (But… there is always a "but")

But now, I have swirls. These are so fine they are invisible unless I point a bright flashlight directly on at a 90 degree angle. So, I now need to look into how I can remove the swirls.

Any insights?

I'll research more in the AM!

merrymaid520
01-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Update. So I used Meguiar's scratch 2.0 and it worked (and it didn't work?)

It did remove the scratches after several applications. I used PEAK Foam applicator Pads and applied it in random patterns and after I rubbed that in on one side of the speaker, I buffed it all off successfully using PEAK SPA Polishing Towels. SO yes the major majority of the scratches came off. I have no doubt that if I did this a few moe times it would all be eliminated.

Overall it looks great. (But… there is always a "but")

But now, I have swirls. These are so fine they are invisible unless I point a bright flashlight directly on at a 90 degree angle. So, I now need to look into how I can remove the swirls.

Any insights?

I'll research more in the AM!

My recommendation, buy the PC random orbital and some meguiars #205. It will remove just about all of the swirls etc. If not, start with #105 then finish with 205. I've used these extensively on my vehicles too.

To be safe, confirm with Dave first. My towers may not have the same finish as yours.

rifmon
01-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks. I've read about the 205 and 105. Is it possible to use the 105 by hand?

Also, I saw random orbitals in Pep Boys for under $50.00. I know they are not the best but for a seldom used tool would it be sufficient?

I'll send a note to Dave and ask if the 105 and/or 205 would be good for the finish I have.

rifmon
01-31-2014, 02:57 AM
did some research. I answered my own question:D

No I CANNOT use that inexpensive orbital. They are more for adding wax to an already perfect surface. Found my clarification here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/circular-polishers-rotary-polishers-high-speed-polisher/65498-difference-between-rotary-random-orbital-orbital-polisher.html

So if I want to do this right, I will need to spend a little more money. I would need a PC random orbital or something similar.

rifmon
02-02-2014, 01:09 PM
OK just to update. I think anyone who has piano black could use any additional info on inexpensive remedies.

While I have zero doubt that an orbital would do the job much better, I don't have the $ to buy one. At least now… So I called Meguiar's and spoke with a rep and when I told him that I removed most of the scratches from the finish of a polyurethane piano black finish on speaker cabinets using Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0, but there remained swirls, he suggested that I use the Ultimate Polish. He told me it is really the consumer version of the 205 and can be applied by hand. So off the Pep Boys again..
I just spent an hour or two on both speakers and I am happy to say;
1 - I did no harm. That was my biggest worry; that I would make the scratches worse or de-gloss the shine, etc...
2 - I improved the finish using the Ultimate Polish by at least 75%. I grew a little tired so I buffed off all the remaining residue and inspected with a nice bright Fourseven flashlight and while I could still see slight swirls, they were greatly diminished. The original swirls almost had their own reflections but now with the flashlight, there are faded way back in the shine. I am confident if I ever was bored I could repeat and only improve it.

I was happy I could actually speak to a person at Mcguiar's. No wait, no long menu. Great customer service!

FirstReflect
02-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Cool!

I don't have any piano black finishes, but I've enjoyed following this thread, and I really appreciate the info! I'm certain this knowledge will come in handy for me at some point, so it's greatly appreciated :)

rifmon
02-02-2014, 05:01 PM
You're welcome. I have received a lot of help and advise on this forum and I'm glad to share my experience.

But I realized I left something out in my post; Before I saw any results, I needed to apply the polish several times and rub it into the finish for several minutes , remove it all off with a micro fiber towel and then start the process over again,… several times. I noticed no difference at all the first application so I can see how some people could use this, not see the swirls go away and think that it does not work. ( in fact, I thought the same but I determined to try it over and over again until I did notice the improvement.)

My point is, you need to apply it with patience and determination in order to see results. I just checked out the results again and they look great!