PDA

View Full Version : sierra 2 with ML Grotto

ematthews
01-26-2014, 10:52 AM
I should be getting my Sierra 2 in the next two weeks. Do you guys think these will work well with the Martin Logan Grotto sub? I wont be able to pick up a new Rythmik for a whike since I stretched my budget for the Sierra 2.

petmotel
01-26-2014, 11:20 AM
I should be getting my Sierra 2 in the next two weeks. Do you guys think these will work well with the Martin Logan Grotto sub? I wont be able to pick up a new Rythmik for a whike since I stretched my budget for the Sierra 2.

I've not heard one of these subs, if it's a good one it should integrate nicely. The typical in room response of the Sierra-1 is just under 40Hz, so this spec should also apply closely to the Two. I have been just mesmerized at the bass response of my Twos, they are so tight, and dynamic even with low bass, it's amazing.

I was just playing an SACD of Monty Alexander's "My America" which is a direct to DSD digital recording, the punch of the bass on some of the songs was "blunt force trauma" kickin'.

Just to say if the ML sub isn't producing tight, punchy, low bass, the Twos are no slouches without.

Jay

Asliang
02-07-2014, 07:32 PM
You only need an 80Hz crossover to go below the threshold of bass localizability, which pretty much any ported monitor with a 5" woofer or larger can accomplish with a subwoofer.

ematthews
02-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Update. The Grotto plays really nice with the Sierra 2... I would still like to get a Rythmik soon.

TheHolyCannoli
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the sierra 2s play with my rythmik. I had lots on trouble integrating with previous towers, but these were a breeze even with less than optimal sub placement. I set the crossover on the AVR to 60hz and the bass is seamless. I tried 80hz but felt that I was still able to localize bass coming from the sub, especially with home theater content where explosions would take place off screen to the left or right. Not a fault of the bookshelves. At 60hz crossover, problem solved without lack of impact. It's nearly impossible for me to distinguish when the sub vs the sierra's are outputting the low frequencies.

jahjd2000
02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I had the same experience, TheHolyCannoli. I lowered the crossover to 60hz for the Towers and Horizon and it pulled the bass upfront (my sub sits near field next to my sofa) and eliminated the localization of my sub. I'm really digging this new arrangement.w.