PDA

View Full Version : Repairing my classic CBM-340 LCR

jimsiff
01-13-2014, 12:28 AM
I need to repair my classic CBM-340 LCR speakers. Long story short, I have four kids.

Both drivers in my center channel and the bottom driver in my right channel have 1-2" rips due to blunt object impact. There is no other obvious damage and they sound surprisingly good with this damage, even when pushed moderately hard.

I called Ascend Friday, and the old drivers are no longer available. The SE drivers can be used as a drop-in replacement, around $57/ea plus shipping.

Here are the three options I'm considering so far. My immediate budget is $0, but by March or April I might have some money to deal with the issue.

1) Do nothing. Diminished performance and possibly increasing damage to speakers over time. Would plan to replace damaged drivers or speakers eventually.
2) Patch the rips using tissue paper & Elmer's Glue. This is free and may be worth a shot for the time being. If the repair did not hold or altered sound quality noticeably, I'd replace damaged drivers or speakers eventually.
3) Recone the broken speakers. Of the two repair options, this would be the best quality repair, though I wonder if any parts are still available or the cost differential vs new worth the effort.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

davef
01-17-2014, 01:49 AM
I need to repair my classic CBM-340 LCR speakers. Long story short, I have four kids.

Both drivers in my center channel and the bottom driver in my right channel have 1-2" rips due to blunt object impact. There is no other obvious damage and they sound surprisingly good with this damage, even when pushed moderately hard.

I called Ascend Friday, and the old drivers are no longer available. The SE drivers can be used as a drop-in replacement, around $57/ea plus shipping.

Here are the three options I'm considering so far. My immediate budget is $0, but by March or April I might have some money to deal with the issue.

1) Do nothing. Diminished performance and possibly increasing damage to speakers over time. Would plan to replace damaged drivers or speakers eventually.
2) Patch the rips using tissue paper & Elmer's Glue. This is free and may be worth a shot for the time being. If the repair did not hold or altered sound quality noticeably, I'd replace damaged drivers or speakers eventually.
3) Recone the broken speakers. Of the two repair options, this would be the best quality repair, though I wonder if any parts are still available or the cost differential vs new worth the effort.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Honestly, the best option is to simply order the replacement woofers. It is not possible to recone any of our woofers -- they are all custom made for us and recone kits do not exist...

Hope this helps!