PDA

View Full Version : TP-24 Pedestal Stands Childproof???

brentstephenson
12-23-2013, 08:39 PM
I recently bought a 5.0 system from Ascend. In my home lives an 11 month old, and we are expecting a second child to arrive next April. My goal is to have my 340 mains be as safe as possible. Originally, I used these: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387859602&sr=8-1&keywords=Bookshelf+speaker+mount However, these didn't seem secure given the height of the 340's. If I use these pedestals and fill them with sand, do you think my speakers and children will be safe???

natetg57
12-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Yes. As safe as possible at least.

brentstephenson
12-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the reply Nate. Balancing child safety with my insane passion for home audio has been trickier than expected...

rkoaudio
12-24-2013, 10:16 AM
It is just my opinion but ... I would not recommend you using pedestals with small children. When I bought my pair of speakers, I also purchased pedestals. In no time I realized it was not the best idea:( Kids have no limitations. They will use them as a part of the "obstacle course", place to hide behind etc. Having pedestals filled with sand makes them more stable but they are also heavier and, in case somebody tips them over, ... just use your imagination.

davef
12-24-2013, 10:28 AM
I recently bought a 5.0 system from Ascend. In my home lives an 11 month old, and we are expecting a second child to arrive next April. My goal is to have my 340 mains be as safe as possible. Originally, I used these: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387859602&sr=8-1&keywords=Bookshelf+speaker+mount However, these didn't seem secure given the height of the 340's. If I use these pedestals and fill them with sand, do you think my speakers and children will be safe???

Hi brent,

Our TP-24 pedestal stands were designed with child safety in mind as my son was just learning to walk when I designed them :) If you fill them 50% with kiln dried sand (or clumping cat litter - my recommendation), an adult would have to put some effort in to push them over...

brentstephenson
12-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I figured that wall mounting and using blue tack for extra security would be the best solution. However, the blue tack is not holding very securely. Does any one know of a better adhesive solution?

brentstephenson
12-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi brent,

Our TP-24 pedestal stands were designed with child safety in mind as my son was just learning to walk when I designed them :) If you fill them 50% with kiln dried sand (or clumping cat litter - my recommendation), an adult would have to put some effort in to push them over...

Thanks for the information Dave. Because I didn't think the stands were the safest, I did not include them with my 5.0 order. Would you guys let me buy them separately with the $40 discount?

davef
12-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the information Dave. Because I didn't think the stands were the safest, I did not include them with my 5.0 order. Would you guys let me buy them separately with the $40 discount?

Of course! Please give Dina a call today.

brentstephenson
12-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Of course! Please give Dina a call today. Thanks Dave. I took your advice and ordered them. I'm intrigued by your clumping cat litter idea. How many pounds would you use per stand? In an attempt to help others with infants gallivanting around the house, I intend to return and post about how the stands work out for our family. Thanks again Dave!

davef
12-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks Dave. I took your advice and ordered them. I'm intrigued by your clumping cat litter idea. How many pounds would you use per stand? In an attempt to help others with infants gallivanting around the house, I intend to return and post about how the stands work out for our family. Thanks again Dave!

You are most welcome!

With regards to the clumping cat litter, I typically use one 40lb box in each stand. Works great...

Harley Weewax
01-02-2014, 08:45 AM
I just got a pair of the stands with some Sierra 2s earlier this week. I have a soon-to-be three year old girl and child-friendliness was a factor in my picking the Ascend stands over looking for some aftermarket stands.

The stands are robust and their girth, over more spindly metal stands, makes them feel more steady. Also visually it makes the sierras look like a tower and to her child-mind they have sort of just faded away and have become a piece of background furniture to her. On a thinner stand I think the speakers would be a more attractive target for her 'affections'. (She loves tools and wants to fix everything. She'll fix it till its broke but good, too.)

I haven't mass loaded them yet. They seem pretty stable without it. Of course YMMV depending on your offspring's rambunctiousness. I am thinking about stuffing some wool down inside them just to deaden any resonances, though. We'll see. Also the WAF of pouring cat litter/sand/lead shot into anything in the living room is well into the negative numbers.

That makes me think...has anyone tried selling Audiophile-Grade Granulated Silica? I smell money!

curtis
01-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Also the WAF of pouring cat litter/sand/lead shot into anything in the living room is well into the negative numbers.
For the cat litter...you should try selling her on the room freshening properties. :)

Seriously though, weighing them down is a huge step in stability/safety with little ones around. I never had a problem with my kids (they are now 16 and 14), but just knowing that my stands were not easy to move, added to peace of mind.

Harley Weewax
01-03-2014, 12:36 AM
I may just weigh them down this weekend.

Any reason to choose the clumping litter over just plain unscented clay cat litter?

Blutarsky
01-03-2014, 08:47 AM
I had a metal fabrication shop make custom stands once. Bottom plate out of 1/4" steel plate 12" X 12" beveled. with a 4" round tube connecting to a 1/8" top plate custom sized to my speakers. I had a 2 inch hole drilled in this plate.
When I filled them with kiln dried sand, I needed a hand truck to move them. Less than $300. Powder coating extra. 4 blobs of museum putty or blue tack held the monitors well..... You need to clean everything well with alcohol and give time to let things get molecular attraction going. I peeled a splinter off the base of a monitor removing it from a blue goo attachment.

B.

brentstephenson
01-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I may just weigh them down this weekend.

Any reason to choose the clumping litter over just plain unscented clay cat litter?

I wondered the same thing. My best guess is that the clumping cat litter absorbs moisture better. Additionally, I read in a forum elsewhere that the clumping litter is clay-based, making it heavier and better at dampening than sand. I have no idea whether this is true. However, it sounds good :)

Per Dave's suggestions, I went out on Saturday and purchased 80 pounds of clumping, non-scented cat litter. My stands are set to arrive next Wedneday. My plan, which I stole from someone smarter than me, is to cut a 2 liter bottle in half and use it to fill up the stands. I'll let you all know how it works out.

davef
01-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Clumping cat litter is cheap and fully absorbs moisture. Since the stands are MDF, any moisture content will damage the wood over a period of time. Clay cat litter might work just as well, but I have never tried it.