PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Sierra Towers

petmotel
12-19-2013, 02:37 PM
On the Home Theater Shack website, the Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters have been nominated for participation in their $3000 category speaker evaluation. You can vote for the speakers you would like to see in this evaluation here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/71384-3-000-speaker-evaluation-nomination-thread.html

Jay

Dark Ranger
12-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I've cast my vote for six speakers, including the Sierra Towers w/RAAL ribbon.

As of this post, the Sierra Tower holds 27% of the votes. So 135 people wish to see the ST reviewed. :)

billy p
12-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks Jay for pointing out that thread. Naturally, I voted for the Ascends but I also cast a vote for the Phil Slims, PSB T2, Totem Hawks, Kef R500 & last but not least...the Salk Super charged.

I do hope that a couple of the ID brands make it into this round. I know the Ascends where very close in the previous <$2500.00 edition...just missing out.

This stage IMO would better serve speakers like the Ascends or Salk STSC because some of those more recent GTG had the deck stacked against them....JMO.

Bill

petmotel
12-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't know about you guys, I'd really like to see the Towers evaluated by this group of honest, knowledgeable, enthusiasts compared with other popular products in the category.

WE NEED YOUR VOTE!!!! If you have not done so already, please vote. If you need to register, it's easy, and this is a good site to check out anyway. Excellent support for REW measuring software!

Jay

markie
12-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I voted there over 10 days ago, and of course the Ascend RAAL towers were first on my list of six to be evaluated. Yet I still got a private message yesterday from the Home Theater Shack, via email, asking me to vote. So I go to the site today, it shows the poll results (thus far) and says I have already voted. So it got one thing right!

The speakers range in price from $2500 to $3500 so the Ascends are one of the lowest priced offerings there at $2600. If the Ascends make the top 6 (and it looks like they would!) Dave will be getting the proverbial phone call fairly soon, given the evaluation event is being held in February.

Mark

billy p
12-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Maybe they have already approached Dave? I'd bet the methodology used in this evaluation would be more aptly supported by Ascends vs. some of those GTG in which its all about highly powered & high efficient speakers.

Yeah... those GTG are generally conducted fairly and try to make things as fair as possible, but when you factor in the listening environment, room size, layouts and most importantly listening levels, most traditionally designed speakers usually get pushed beyond their limits.

I know, the Ascends just missed last time around....maybe the second time will be the charm..I hope...anyways.

Cheers, Bill

petmotel
12-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Monkey Claus, and my family wishes everyone a very merry Christmas!

Jay

soundseeker
12-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Just voted. C'mon everyone, get your votes in. We all want to see how the towers stack up. Voting ends midnight new years eve.

TTL2000
12-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Just did.....I might be alone but I'm tired of reading about anything B&W....

muzz
12-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I was going to create a thread about this as well, but I wasn't sure how it would go over.

Of course I voted for the Towers.
Right now they are tied for 4th in votes, hopefully more votes will come in, cuz it's getting a bit tight up there.

natetg57
12-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I voted for the towers too, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm doubtful Dave would send a pair over.

TTL2000
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Well it looks like they made the top six.......

markie
01-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Yes the Sierra RAAL towers finished finished 5th just ahead of the Salk Songtowers SC

Gosh I think they would do very well in an evaluation, they both measure and sound great!

Mark

TTL2000
01-01-2014, 02:34 PM
With the price they mention I assume they are speaking of the base black finish, which could be bumped up if they are going to compare finishes as this is < 3k comparison.

To be honest these type of reviews mean little to me in deciding upon a product, but they will get me to listen, which is good.

I still would have liked to see Zu Audio in there as well.

billy p
01-04-2014, 05:41 AM
I ask HTS if all the candidates were confirmed and Sonnie replied was... No! Only 1 confirmation to date, another 2 have yet to confirm and Salk has but only via third party. I'd totally understand if Dave declined...he'd prefer to make his customers happy over some trivial but well meant speakers evaluation.

Fwiw...they do attempt to get the best out of each speaker using proper placement approach & measurements allowing each speaker to play well within itself...not a bad deal if you chose to send in your speakers. It's not anything like those overkill, overstated and overdriven GTG often do. So... yeah...I'd like to see Ascend present.....:)

Cheers, Bill...

TTL2000
01-04-2014, 06:06 AM
I ask HTS if all the candidates were confirmed and Sonnie replied was... No! Only 1 confirmation to date, another 2 have yet to confirm and Salk has but only via third party. I'd totally understand if Dave declined...he'd prefer to make his customers happy over some trivial but well meant speakers evaluation.

Fwiw...they do attempt to get the best out of each speaker using proper placement approach & measurements allowing each speaker to play well within itself...not a bad deal if you chose to send in your speakers. It's not anything like those overkill, overstated and overdriven GTG often do. So... yeah...I'd like to see Ascend present.....:)

Cheers, Bill...

You can always send in yours....haha, yea just kidding.

BTW, there appears to be something not quite right with your Ontario spelling...

billy p
01-04-2014, 10:02 AM
You can always send in yours....haha, yea just kidding.

BTW, there appears to be something not quite right with your Ontario spelling...

I only have the standard towers...even if I had the RAAL units and was willing to do so....I'd still ask for Dave's consent. The only thing...IMO... holding back Ascends from freely submitting a set of towers would be if they had a spare set to submit in time for this evaluation. My understanding concerning most of the RAAL equipped units is they are spoken for...I believe.

Btw...thanks for the heads up on the typo...

Re, Bill

TTL2000
01-04-2014, 11:31 AM
I only have the standard towers...even if I had the RAAL units and was willing to do so....I'd still ask for Dave's consent. The only thing...IMO... holding back Ascends from freely submitting a set of towers would be if they had a spare set to submit in time for this evaluation. My understanding concerning most of the RAAL equipped units is they are spoken for...I believe.

Btw...thanks for the heads up on the typo...

Re, Bill

I gotcha. I was just kidding regardless.

I'm surprised anybody sends speakers in without either knowing the integrity of the reviewer or without sending in a representative to make sure all is set up correctly and functioning as intended. I have seen a few auto part reviews/write ups by Joe Shmo because the part was installed incorrectly. I assume speakers can have the same issues.

What would I know? I am guilty of purchasing a pair of 901's. Years ago, but still guilty.

It still haunts me, 30 years later.

davef
01-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Cheers, Bill...

FWI, no one from HTS has ever contacted me. That stated, I am really not sure if we even have any available tower pairs right now. We have another run of cabinets in production right now, but it will be 6-8 weeks.

billy p
01-06-2014, 07:40 PM
FWI, no one from HTS has ever contacted me. That stated, I am really not sure if we even have any available tower pairs right now. We have another run of cabinets in production right now, but it will be 6-8 weeks.

Dave thanks...I know you'll do what you feel is best. It would be nice to somehow get a set of towers out to them. That group of speakers voted in for this evaluation is a very nice group speakers.

Take care & happy new year.

Bill