PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Stand Height for Sierra-1s

eliwankenobi
12-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Hello All

What would be the ideal stand height for the Sierra-1?

Thanks

natetg57
12-05-2013, 07:46 PM
It depends how high your chair is. You basically want the tweeters even with or slightly above the height of your ears when you are sitting down. But, there are several degrees higher or lower that will still sound fine.

Dark Ranger
12-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Like Nate says, shoot for having the tweeters at or near ear level. If that's not possible, the Sierra-1 is well-designed, so being off-axis is not going to be horrendous.

eliwankenobi
12-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks all for your replies!

But what I meant was, in you experience, what height of stands is used commonly with the Sierra-1.

24"? 26"?

natetg57
12-06-2013, 01:56 AM
I'm using Sanus Wood NF24B 24" stands which are a little low. The top of the speaker is eye level if I'm sitting up in my chair. If I recline, then it's just right.
I just measured and the top of the stand is a little less than 23" off the carpet. Maybe 24" includes the spikes?

eliwankenobi
12-06-2013, 05:32 AM
I'm using Sanus Wood NF24B 24" stands which are a little low. The top of the speaker is eye level if I'm sitting up in my chair. If I recline, then it's just right.
I just measured and the top of the stand is a little less than 23" off the carpet. Maybe 24" includes the spikes?

Thank you very much!! Look like 24 to 26 might be the spot.

Im looking into the Sanus SF24 or 26 now. You guys have any other recommendation in that price range?

RicardoJoa
12-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Thank you very much!! Look like 24 to 26 might be the spot.

Im looking into the Sanus SF24 or 26 now. You guys have any other recommendation in that price range?

26'' maybe the right height depending on your seating position. If is too tall, you can turn the speaker upside down, so that the tweeter would be a the bottom.

eliwankenobi
12-09-2013, 05:53 AM
Thank You Ricardo!

Do you guys have recommendations for good speaker stands?

I've read mixed reviews of the Sanus SF series, and on the Sanus website they are listing less models than those available from retail stores...

Peabody
12-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Thank You Ricardo!

Do you guys have recommendations for good speaker stands?

I've read mixed reviews of the Sanus SF series, and on the Sanus website they are listing less models than those available from retail stores...

I am using SF26 stands in my bedroom with DefTech Studio Monitor 55s (15 lbs vs Sierra-1's 20 lbs). They are fairly sturdy, but not rock solid. First box arrived falling apart, and UPS tried to deliver even though parts were falling out as he carried the box up the driveway. :confused: Second box arrived in acceptable condition, but be aware if you are having them shipped, they could be packaged more securely. Assembly is straightforward, but would be difficult to fill with sand if you are into that. When moving them, better not to lift by the top plate, as the two upright poles will twist. So... not perfect, but acceptable for the price (paid $100).

I also have a pair of Sanus NF24, and the SF26 is much sturdier, makes the NF24 seem flimsy in comparison.

Another brand I have tried is Bell'O. I have the SP300 30" which I used for my front speakers in living room (very small Def Techs) before getting my Towers. They are available in 24", but not 26". These are not as sturdy as the SF26 and were more difficult to assemble as holes were drilled slightly off. And the styling is a little unusual.

I think it is difficult to find sturdy, affordable bookshelf/monitor speaker stands.

eliwankenobi
12-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Thank you!

Something like this is what I was looking for. So it seems that there is no better alternative for the price huh?

Do you also use Blu-tac?

Peabody
12-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Thank you!

Something like this is what I was looking for. So it seems that there is no better alternative for the price huh?

Do you also use Blu-tac?

I use Blue-Tack on the Bell'Os and the VTI adjustables currently supporting my surrounds. But on the SF26, I use the supplied rubber inserts. They also come with brass studs, but the rubber inserts made the speaker feel more stable. I think either the rubber pads or Blue-Tack would be fine.

heyimderrick
12-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Best thing to do is sit in your listening position and measure how high your ears are from the ground. Then, measure from the base of your speaker to the center of the tweeter. Subtract the tweeter height from your ear height, and that's what height stand you should aim to get.

RPM
12-31-2013, 05:19 AM
I am currently using stands that I was using in a pro monitor recording studio that are 35'' high
when used with Auralex mopads underneath they provide an 8 degree tilt which makes up
for the height....so there are options in various ranges.

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Monitor-Isolation-Speakers-Charcoal/dp/B0002D0B4K