PDA

View Full Version : Amp Help Please..... Anyone using Peachtree Audio gear?

RRT-NPS
11-08-2013, 06:20 AM
About to pull the plug on a pair of Sierra-1 and debating which Peachtree amp to buy.
I would love to be as economical as possible which means the Decco65, but not sure if that is enough for them and if I decide to move up to the towers I am pretty sure those 65 watts won't do them justice.

For $500 more I could get the Nova125 and I am sure that would be great for either pair, Sierra-1 or Sierra Tower. However. the Nova Pre/Power separates are on sale right now for $1698 and I figure if you are gonna spend $1500 might has well spend the other two and get 220 watts of ICEpower.

Any and all help would be great appreciated.

Thanks.

RRT-NPS
11-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Also considering the Harman Kardon 990. Those refurbs are out there for $995

Kald9299
11-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I have the sierra 1 and use the original Nova, which is 80watts @6ohms, or roughly what the decco65 puts out. I don't play my music too loud so it isn't a problem there, but occasionally when watching a movie or something that has a quieter track I am wanting more power. Not sure about going with separates personally but that's more of a space concern than anything. If you're only doing music, I would imagine the 125 would be more than sufficient to run the sierras.

I like the sound and function of my nova a lot but I've already had to send it in for repair in the first year and some of the faux wood finish on the front chipped off just from touching it with my hand. One of my optical ports also doesn't work. Overall I'm pretty unimpressed with build quality for the price.

RicardoJoa
11-08-2013, 08:12 AM
The towers are almost 3 db more sensitive. I think they would sound better even with the low power decco 65. But whats caught my attention is at 4 ohm, the decco 125 put out more then double the power. If i remember right, the nominal impedance on the towers are slightly lower, even lower below 100hz. So maybe the deco 125 would be a better choice.

Erik
11-08-2013, 08:28 AM
The Nova125 vs. Decco65 from an SPL standpoint buys you 3db; not a whole lot for the SPL that 65W will generate on the Sierra's. That being said, you can't go back and add more power, so if you have the extra money get the Nova125.

I'm currently upgrading to a more powerful amp. If the manufacture didn't have a 100% purchase price trade in policy, I'm not sure I would be able upgrade.

RicardoJoa
11-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I just noticed that you are about to pull on the sierra 1. The pre seperate are atrractive at their price, but Dave will be comming out with his new sierra 2. I tend to give more on speakers.

RRT-NPS
11-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I just noticed that you are about to pull on the sierra 1. The pre seperate are atrractive at their price, but Dave will be comming out with his new sierra 2. I tend to give more on speakers.

I am aware that the Sierra-2 is close to hitting the streets, the upgrade path to Sierra-2 is the only reason I am buying stock Sierra-1 now. However, part of me says go for the towers.

RRT-NPS
11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
The Nova125 vs. Decco65 from an SPL standpoint buys you 3db; not a whole lot for the SPL that 65W will generate on the Sierra's. That being said, you can't go back and add more power, so if you have the extra money get the Nova125.

I'm currently upgrading to a more powerful amp. If the manufacture didn't have a 100% purchase price trade in policy, I'm not sure I would be able upgrade.

That's my current thinking, get all the power you think you might want or need now because there is no adding it later. Thanks for your input.

beadyz
11-09-2013, 05:40 PM
FWIW I am running a 55 wpc BAT tube amp on the original Sierra-1's and they get louder than I ever care to listen to them.

I was running a 100 wpc Adcom GFA-545 and ~120 wpc SMART TA-242 (Hafler DH-220 clone) before that, and they also got louder than I ever wanted to listen, other than for 30 seconds or so. But, I like to keep my hearing, so I don't want sound levels equal to a jackhammer or jet taking off in the room with me on a routine basis. YMMV.

Mike

markie
11-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Sorry, what was that again? ;)