PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 upgrade from CBM-170 SE in desktop use

cel4145
11-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I did the wrong thing and checked the B-stock list. There are some Espresso Sierra-1s available (love that finish), and now I'm tempted.

My current setup is PC->ODAC->Schiit Asgard 2->SVS PB-1000->HK 3390 (just the amp)->CBM 170 SEs in my home office. Sitting about 3 feet away from the speakers and sub. This is my primary music listening setup (I only use my HT setup for movies and TV) because I spend so much time on the computer for work.

I'm assuming I would get better detail resolution and clarity out of the Sierra 1s. Is that a safe assumption? What else should expect in a near field setup like this?

natetg57
11-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Yes, you would get better detail and resolution. The bass should extend deeper. The treble should have a smoother presentation. If you like the satin espresso finish it's even cheaper! http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9SRM1SE2&Category_Code=LSPK-2CH

cel4145
11-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't need more extension in the sense of going lower since I'm crossing them over at 80hz with the SB-1000. But the fact that the Sierras are more linear to 80hz would definitely be nice, and of course, if they are tuned lower, then that (I'm guessing) helps with the midbass quality when crossing over at 80hz :)

How'd you find those? They weren't listed under the b-stock menu (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BSTOCK). And those are even more tempting; I do like satin finish better than gloss. On the other hand, I'm really thinking I should wait until the Sierra 2s come out, as there will likely be people selling their Sierra 1s at a good price (I don't have to have the Espresso finish since this is for a home office where only I see them). Must resist urge to pull trigger :)

cel4145
11-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Never mind. Now I found them: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?5499-New-Sierra-1-Finishes-and-Intro-Pricing! I didn't realize they were cheaper when I posted to that thread last week. LOL

FirstReflect
11-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm not altogether sure you'll find a lot of used Sierra-1 for sale when the Sierra-2 launches, mainly because any Sierra-1 can be upgraded and become a Sierra-2! I have to think a lot of Sierra-1 owners will opt for that if they're wanting Sierra-2 ;)

Speaking of which, I can already imagine how fantastic the Sierra-2 will be as nearfield, desktop speakers. The clarity and transient response of the RAAL ribbon tweeter just cannot be matched by any dome. As great as the Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 NrT are, based on my experience with my own custom Horizon RAAL and super custom Sierra-1 cabinets with RAAL 70-20XR tweeters and Sierra Tower midrange drivers in them, in comparison to my Sierra-1 NrT speakers, there's a discernible difference, and just an extra level of clarity and realism with the upgraded drivers. The Sierra-2 is a little bit different, of course, but by Dave's own account, the Sierra-2 should be much closer to the sound quality of the Sierra Tower RAAL and Horizon RAAL.

So, if you were to buy the Sierra-1 today, you would have the option to upgrade them, and literally turn them into Sierra-2 in the future! Dave has put a tremendous amount of work and effort into making sure that the Sierra-2 drivers and crossover can simply be swapped into the exact same cabinets as the Sierra-1. So knowing that you could upgrade your Sierra-1 speakers to a ribbon tweeter and improved mid-woofer in the future just makes them an even higher value and an easier purchase, IMO ;)