PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 and Sierra Tower Port Output Plots?

Beave
08-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Has Dave ever provided (here or elsewhere on the site) any plot of the port output for the Sierra-1 monitor or the Sierra Tower? I've seen extensive plots of other aspects of the speakers' performance, but I haven't seen any characterization of the port outputs.

Thanks for any info.

davef
10-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Has Dave ever provided (here or elsewhere on the site) any plot of the port output for the Sierra-1 monitor or the Sierra Tower? I've seen extensive plots of other aspects of the speakers' performance, but I haven't seen any characterization of the port outputs.

Thanks for any info.

Hi Beave,

I am curious, for what purpose would you like to see just the port output of a speaker? Aside from showing any potential port resonances, it is rather meaningless unless combined with the woofer output as the two work in tandem...

Beave
10-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply. As you guessed, I was curious to see whether or not there were any port resonances. I was doing some listening tests between my Sierra-1s and a couple of other slightly-cheaper bookshelf speakers. I had seen close-mic port output plots (via Stereophile and other online review sites) for the other two speakers but not for the Ascends. The other two speakers each had a little lack of clarity (one in the upper bass; one in the lower mids) that seemed to me to be right where their respective port resonances were. I heard no such issue with the Ascends and just wanted to know how clean their port output was.

Thanks!

davef
10-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply. As you guessed, I was curious to see whether or not there were any port resonances. I was doing some listening tests between my Sierra-1s and a couple of other slightly-cheaper bookshelf speakers. I had seen close-mic port output plots (via Stereophile and other online review sites) for the other two speakers but not for the Ascends. The other two speakers each had a little lack of clarity (one in the upper bass; one in the lower mids) that seemed to me to be right where their respective port resonances were. I heard no such issue with the Ascends and just wanted to know how clean their port output was.

Thanks!

One neat aspect of the Sierra-1 that is not discussed much is the port tube. This is custom tooled for us (we own the tooling) and is designed to keep port resonances to a minimum. That stated, all ports exhibit resonances, they are, in fact, resonance devices themselves but high amplitude spurious resonances above the port tune frequency are never a good thing. I don't believe I have the port response readily available but it is something I can measure for you if you really want to see it. Please send me an email....

Thanks!

Beave
10-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Dave. I sent you a PM. It was just something I was curious about, so don't feel like you have to provide the plots.