PDA

View Full Version : Darn it! AVR Sick

DougMac
08-23-2013, 12:59 PM
I've been pleased with my Onkyo TX-NR 808. Last night, we went to watch a movie. The Onkyo turned on, but no sound.

Internet search finds that the HDMI card failed, a common problem with this unit.

I contacted the closest authorized repair shop. Understandably, they stated they'd have to diagnose the unit and couldn't give me a ballpark on repair. They did state the average repair runs $250.00.

They also said that 80% of the AVR's that come into the shop come in for bad HDMI cards. I asked if one brand was less likely to have this problem. They said no, all brands have HDMI card problems.

Now I'll have to decide what to do from here. I really don't want put that much money in the unit, 1/3 of the original cost. I also don't want to buy a new unit.

If I do buy a new unit, I'm trying to decide what brand. There's the usual suspects that are similar in features at each price point. Then there are those that stray from the norm, like NAD and Harman Kardon, which are interesting, but usually have smaller feature sets than comparatively priced mainstream products. It boils down to what features I really need. I'd like to have Audyssey MultiEQ XT preferably the 32, and built in Spotify. I'd give up both for better sound, though.

DougMac
08-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Update--
I did some more research and found someone on eBay who offers repair on the HDMI board. He has excellent feedback, including from other 808 owners. He also offers a 30 day guarantee and a full refund if he can't fix the board. I paid $75.00 and he immediately sent detailed instructions on the removal of the board. He even does an upgrade recommended by Onkyo.

I'll mail it Monday and report the results. If it works, I can use the money to get a 27" photo editing monitor that's calling my name!

JustaSheep
08-24-2013, 01:56 PM
I'd be curious to hear how that turns out. I have an 809 that's over a year old now and I've heard more and more of these hdmi board problems lately.

Mpalmieri1203
08-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Onkyo man. They make a nice sounding product but these failures are bad. My last three AVRs have been a Onkyos. I never had issues but my next upgrade is the Denon X4000.

DevL
08-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Onkyo man. They make a nice sounding product but these failures are bad. My last three AVRs have been a Onkyos. I never had issues but my next upgrade is the Denon X4000.

I have an X4000, and while nice, it does have the occasional glitch that requires a reboot. Specific glitch seems to be an HDMI issue where I get an odd pattern of tiny rainbow static looking squares on my screen and it locks up. Seems to be a handshake issue when switching sources. Happens about once a month.

DougMac
08-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Update. I pulled the card Saturday night. The repairman sent detailed instructions, including photos, to help. I know my way around the innards of electronic devices, but I see how it would help the less experienced.

I mailed the card Sunday and delivery is scheduled for Friday, August 30.

cischico
08-28-2013, 03:06 AM
I just had to jump in. I had an Onkyo 818 (US) and replaced it with a Denon X4000 (Japanese). The Onkyo was giving me HDMI issues like randomly blanking and it seemed slow to handshake. For example when I turn on my computer I could never see the Bios POST screen with my projector. When I got the X4000 it locked in really fast and I was able to see the POST screen. I didnt have this issue with my Kuro only my projector and this went away when I got the X4000 and was very noticable. Switching sources was much quicker.

To me the X4000 is better, Airplay was built in, 2 Independent HDMI, Fast handshake, SubEQ and 2 independent sub outputs. Onkyo had the ability to go wireless or bluetooth.

At the time of purchase the X4000 wasn't out yet and the 818 was best bang for buck. I have no regrets with the 818 but those HDMI quirks really pissed me off.

A couple of days ago my Audyssey MIC just went bad while calibrating my brand spanking new Sierra Towers and Horizons. God I was so pissed. The towers were amazing but in the low end I felt like something was off. I had nulls on top of nulls. Specifically 60-65HZ and 80-90HZ and something like 300HZ. It was a massive nulls. 30-40db drop (not exaggerating).

When I get back home I'll try to place my towers for optimum position and try to reduce the nulls, but first I gotta wait for my new MIC to arrive.

DougMac
09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I mailed the card Sunday and delivery is scheduled for Friday, August 30.
Final Update
The card did arrive to the serviceman on Friday, August 30. He repaired it and mailed it back on Monday, September 2. I received it the following Thursday.

There's a very small chip, perhaps a 1/4 inch square, on the board. He clipped the leads to that chip. He mounted a daughter board, as recommended by Onkyo, on the board, with jumpers soldered to the original board.

It took me 15 minutes to put the board in and another to plug in the HDMI and speaker cables. I pressed "On" and the reassuring click of the speaker solenoids shortly followed! It works perfectly!

I've used it all weekend with no problem. I highly recommend daveselectronics!

JustaSheep
09-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Good to hear, Doug. I have not had a problem yet and I'm not sure what the % is of defects to owners, but I understand this was a relatively widespread problem. I will go the same route if I'm one of the unlucky ones.