PDA

View Full Version : warranty expired, should I tinker?

powerdog
08-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Bought my AA speakers in Feb 2008, and I think a mouse might have gotten into one of them and chewed a wire. (I only get sound from the tweeter, not the woofer.)

Since I'm beyond the warranty, is there any reason not to open it up and look around?

natetg57
08-16-2013, 04:22 PM
I would. Taking the woofer out should be super easy and low risk.

petmotel
08-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Bought my AA speakers in Feb 2008, and I think a mouse might have gotten into one of them and chewed a wire. (I only get sound from the tweeter, not the woofer.)

Since I'm beyond the warranty, is there any reason not to open it up and look around?

I live in an old farmhouse in the middle of an agricultural area (cornfields surround me) and I have a significant problem with mice.

I've found that computer fan guards mounted over the port outlets provides excellent protection from the little rascals.

Jay

powerdog
08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
My suspicions were right. There was a very dead mouse behind the woofer and one of the wires hanging by a thread. I was able to use a piece of copper wire to bridge from the metal post to the remaining wire still connected to the driver.

markie
08-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Even mice want to get inside David's speakers to see how he does it! After inspecting the crossover the mouse then tried to ascertain if the copper wire was oxygen free. Needless to say his discovery was electrifying. To adventurous mice everywhere ....

GirgleMirt
08-18-2013, 07:06 PM
That's when you wish your forum handle was powercat and not powerdog...