PDA

View Full Version : Need a Sub to match with Sierra Towers....Size matters.

Mpalmieri1203
08-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone! I use my system probably 80% TV/Movies and 20% music. I currently have an SVS PB12. It's matched with Sierra Towers and Horizon in the fronts and some Mirage speakers in the rear.

We currently live in an apartment and the SVS doesn't really get turned up too much anymore. However, in a month we are moving into our new home! My wife doesn't mind me having the subwoofer but would much rather get something smaller for our main TV room. I've been looking at the ULS by HSU and some of the SBs by SVS. How do these compare to my current subwoofer and what will I lose/gain by going to a smaller sealed box subwoofer? I'd prefer to keep prices under $1500.

On a relative note, what should I crossover to the bass with on my Towers and Horizon? I think I currently have it set to 40Hz on my Onkyo.

Thanks in advance for any input ya'll might have!

curtis
08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
What you will lose is output capability, especially in the lower frequencies, and more than likely gain better sound quality.

Also look at the Rythmik subs.

JustaSheep
08-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Have you considered a nice looking down-firing sub that can double as a piece of furniture?

DevL
08-20-2013, 04:52 AM
Rythmik F15HP will be physically smaller, lighter, give deeper bass, give more clarity and musicality, and still be within your budget. You give up ALMOST nothing in volume... a db or two at most at the absolute max volume. You can run from 80-40hz no problem as a crossover. Higher works better for surrounds and you can do 60 or 80 on mains because if you set the level to match your mains properly the Rythmik will blend seamlessly. If you push the volume higher you probably want it at the lower end lower for music. Just realize it is only smaller in two of the three dimensions but it IS smaller than what you have now.

Sam1000
08-26-2013, 11:22 AM
+1..for post# 5.

Mpalmieri1203
08-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Do you guys think the Rythmyk will perform any better or worse than my pb12?

It will be working a 1500 cubic foot room.

I've got towers in the front with the Horizon and I just picked up a Sierra 1C on audiogon as well as another one b stock from Ascend. I'm going to use those to replace my Mirages as surrounds. Probably overkill but I'm really looking forward to it.

I've lived in apartments my whole life and this is our first home.

I see the Sierra-1 NRT is lower sensitivity than the towers. Will that be a difficult load for an Onkyo 818 at 65-70db listening range?

curtis
08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Do you guys think the Rythmyk will perform any better or worse than my pb12?
An F15HP will have no less output, but will have better sound quality.

I see the Sierra-1 NRT is lower sensitivity than the towers. Will that be a difficult load for an Onkyo 818 at 65-70db listening range?
Not at all.

Mpalmieri1203
08-26-2013, 02:17 PM
An F15HP will have no less output, but will have better sound quality.

Not at all.

The size on that unit looks great and it does indeed appear to go lower than what I already have! Hopefully I can unload a few speakers this week and put an order in!

Mpalmieri1203
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Ok so here's what I'm think for the layout. The room opens up on to a breakfast table/bar combo and then into the kitchen. I'm not interested in filling that space with sound and the measurements beyond the TV room aren't accurate. The bare wall has a fire place and I'm not comfortable mounting my plasma above it. The room is hardwood but we plan on putting down an area rug.

The rears are going to lay horizontal on some unobtrusive shelving I'm working up. I've never done 7.1. Do you think I'd see any benefits in this room or does the couch really need to sit in the center of the room for it to work?

The dimensions on the F15 really fit perfect for what I want as can be seen in this layout. Sorry for all the questions! Just trying to get all the pieces in play before I start painting the room etc.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/mpalmieri1203/LivingRoom.jpg (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/mpalmieri1203/media/LivingRoom.jpg.html)

DevL
08-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Your room acoustics will determine where the sub goes. I had my F15hp where you have yours and it was great. Then I moved my entertainment console a foot over and ended up with nulls on one of my listening positions unless I loaded it in the corner. Then I had to run it -11db because of the room reinforcement.

Put it where it results in no nulls.

ZzBloopzZ
08-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Random, but what program did you use to make that amazing layout of your room?

Mpalmieri1203
08-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Random, but what program did you use to make that amazing layout of your room?

It's called FloorDesign. It's $10 on the Mac AppStore. Not sure if there is a windows variant.