PDA

View Full Version : Change my Towers to Sierra-1 setup?

Blutarsky
08-16-2013, 07:35 AM
We currently have a 3.1 system with a pair of Ascend Towers and a custom Mini Horizon Center.
We are moving into our new place in November. I chose the floor plan in the great room for Audio and Theater but I think my wife would prefer a less intrusive set up.

Here is the Question...We have our TV wall mounted over a 60" wide console holding our components. The center is sitting on this. I want to replace my Towers and Center with either Sierra's or 170's all placed on the console. We will be sitting 8 feet back. Will this work?

Blutarsky

markie
08-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm in a similar scenario. We are also sitting about 8 feet back from our (corner placed) TV, and I also have only about 60 inches of width in which to place centre, left and right speakers. But because we are so close to the TV I assume it should work OK.

I'm waiting for the Sierra-2's. :)

Mark

FirstReflect
08-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Yup, by all accounts, the upcoming Sierra-2 will be the closest you can get to the Sierra Towers/Horizon in a bookshelf form factor. As an added bonus, should you ever decide to use your Towers and Horizon up front again, the Sierra-2 will make for fabulous Surrounds!

If you're not on board for ribbon tweeters and the higher price tag of the Sierra-2, though, then the next closest choice would be the Sierra-1 NrT. That's the same NrT tweeter as is found in the standard Towers and Horizon, so that's your next best bet :)

Blutarsky
08-16-2013, 01:22 PM
I had a set of Sierra-1 RCL speakers previously. They would be plenty good enough for me again. Anyone out there try the arrangement I mentioned?

B.

kinggimp82
08-16-2013, 05:35 PM
This guy is doing something like what you mentioned.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?3926-Ascend-Owners-Photo-Gallery&p=41928#post41928

Blutarsky
08-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks.

Our console is only 60" and the center will be on it. I guess It will be like a very good soundbar.

B.

JustABrah
08-31-2013, 12:31 AM
My current set up has them closer like that and it sounds great, I'm curious in if you feel like its a down grade coming from the towers/horizon to the Sierra-1 lcr and what your leaving behind? As I'm trying to talk myself into moving up but I'm having a tough time justifying the extra cost.

Remonster
09-03-2013, 09:27 AM
I think the main difference you'll notice is weaker midbass (below 200Hz) because the Sierra-1s don't have lower woofers to counteract floor bounce cancellation. I think my Sierra-1s have excellent bass when I use them on my desk as computer speakers, but I tried using them as the front speakers in my home theater (replacing a FAR inferior set of Polk RTi A7s) and I couldn't get over the loss in midbass.

This isn't a huge deal and you'll most likely be very happy with the Sierra-1s, the small decrease in impact and energy compared to the towers may be worth the extra WAF.

In case anyone is confused, depending on the distance between a driver and the floor (or ceiling) and between that driver and your ears, certain frequencies will be cancelled out by their inverse reflection off of the floor. Multiple drivers in a tower speaker will each have different frequencies cancelled out, with one driver filling in for the others at their weak frequencies so tower speakers don't really suffer from floor bounce cancellation like a stand-mount speaker with a single woofer.

curtis
09-03-2013, 10:49 AM
You are probably more happy with the bass reinforcement the desktop gave you, rather than lack of bass because of floor bounce. On a desk, you would get exaggerated bass/midbass.

Floor bounce is rarely a big issue in a room.

JustABrah
09-04-2013, 12:41 AM
So the main difference between the Sierra-1s vs the Towers is bass/weight?

curtis
09-04-2013, 06:50 AM
No. The midrange is more resolving and detailed as well due to the midrange driver.

Then there are the NrT and RAAL tweeters.

More output, more dynamic as well.

natetg57
09-04-2013, 08:14 AM
I want to replace my Towers and Center with either Sierra's or 170's all placed on the console.

Blutarsky
I'd be happy to trade speakers with you! I have 3 Sierra-1s. :-)

davef
09-19-2013, 05:24 PM
So the main difference between the Sierra-1s vs the Towers is bass/weight?

Actually, the bass is the least significant difference between the two. While the Towers offer deeper bass extension and detail (as well as more midbass), this difference doesn't hold a candle to the difference in the midrange, highs, imaging and of course, dynamics.... The towers are a considerable upgrade :)