PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be Owner

hockeyrcks9901
08-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Just placed an order with Dina on the phone.

First: Dina was great!

Second: The 340s are delayed until after labor day but that gives me time to sell my Polks on craigslist and run surround wires through the attic.

Third: WOHOO!!!!! ;)

Now I gotta build my two 15" Dayton Ultimax subs!

GirgleMirt
08-13-2013, 01:22 PM
hehe nice! :D Twin 15 inch subs should rock! What kind of enclosure are you going to build and with what are you going to power and EQ them? How many 340SE did you buy?

hockeyrcks9901
08-13-2013, 01:32 PM
They will be in 3 cuft sealed boxes powered by a Behringer EP4000 or something similar.

I also realized my OP was not clear on what I actually ordered so here is a detailed list:

Pair CMT-340 Mains for L/R
CMT-340 Center for C
Pair of HTM-200s for surrounds

And a pair of TP-24 stands.

All of this run by a Denon AVR-1712. The 15s will probably have to wait a couple months but I have a Klipsch RW-12d to tide me over until they get made.

FirstReflect
08-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Nice, nice, nice!

Congrats!

That's gonna be a super dynamic and potentially LOUD system! :D

What's the dealio with your room? General dimensions? Openings? Furniture? Placement?

I always say, the room itself is half of your audio system! Doesn't always mean you need to change anything about your room. But it DOES mean you should always put some thought into it! You planned out your speakers really well. You've planned out your subs. The room deserves the same! Afterall, your new Ascend speakers deserve a good team! ;)

Congrats again! I think you'll love your new speakers.

hockeyrcks9901
08-13-2013, 04:16 PM
The room is way less than ideal. Very open concept with hard floors. Probably 1300sqft for the dining, kitchen, and living rooms with 9.5 foot ceilings in the living and dining rooms.

Typical living room furniture: 3 seat leather couch, 2 seat leather love seat, leather recliner, 2 wood end tables, and 1 coffee table. TV stand is a Salamander 236. There is a very large area rug and four 1'x3' 2" custom acoustic panels behind the TV to help with some absorption.

I'm hoping to sneak in a few more panels by keeping them looking like pictures.

FirstReflect
08-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Right on.

Yeah, if you were building a dedicated listening room from scratch, yours is not, shall we say, a top choice in room design! haha

But I'm most pleased to hear that you've at least put some thought into your room acoustics, and you're aware that the room will be playing a big role in the final sound quality that you hear. It's so often just completely off people's radar. And then they wonder why these fantastic speakers that they've read about don't sound so great once they get them home!

But in your case, you're clearly well aware of what's up when it comes to your room. And I'm super happy to see you say that you're interested in printed or dyed acoustic panels that can double as artwork! That's a favourite recommendation of mine! One of those things that a lot of people don't even know exists as an option!

Anywho, you're in good shape :D

And holy cow! A 1300 sq foot great room?! Up here in the Greater Vancouver area of BC Canada, I'm looking at spending about $400,000 to get a house that's 1400 sq feet TOTAL. And that's 1 hour outside of the actual city of Vancouver in the suburbs! Oh, how I envy you guys who live in places where houses are affordable. :)

hockeyrcks9901
08-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I found the thread on avsforum about DIY acoustic panels so I had a collage printed on 4 of them. It's a picture of my family's cabin on a lake in Vermont. Still needs more because I can still hear an echo.

The room isn't 1300sqft but the combined living room, dining, and kitchen is about that big. It's a 3 bedroom that totals 1963 sqft on 1/3 acre in Brandon, FL. Paid $181,500.

FirstReflect
08-13-2013, 07:18 PM
$181,500

Well, with the exchange rate, you could sell your place, and buy a 500 sq foot apartment 30 min outside of Vancouver (across a bridge), on a street where there are meth-head prostitutes out walking at literally every hour of the day and night. Interested?

haha

Seriously, though, you would be unable to buy ANY dwelling in Vancouver. Even a studio apartment. Downtown now has "micro-apartments" that are under 300 sq feet and rent for JUST under $1000 a month. It's crazy-town banana-pants around here :p

Anywho, enough of my griping!

What's your display? And seating distance? Maybe an electric roll-down acoustically transparent screen with a nice projector for movies at night could be your next target.

:D

hockeyrcks9901
08-14-2013, 03:34 AM
Panasonic 50" Plasma but I can't remember the exact model number. Seating at 10 feet for the main couch. Love seat and chair are off to the sides.

No projector for this room but in a couple years I may go for one of those 70"+ Sharps.

JustaSheep
08-14-2013, 09:29 AM
I found the thread on avsforum about DIY acoustic panels so I had a collage printed on 4 of them. It's a picture of my family's cabin on a lake in Vermont. Still needs more because I can still hear an echo.

Congrats on the order. I have 340's as surrounds and like them very much.

Question for you, though. How/where did you have the panels printed? I know GIK will print panels when you order them, but I'd rather DIY them.

hockeyrcks9901
08-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Congrats on the order. I have 340's as surrounds and like them very much.

Question for you, though. How/where did you have the panels printed? I know GIK will print panels when you order them, but I'd rather DIY them.

SpoonFlower.com

Use the cotton fabric, kona I think... I'll check when I get home. Is very breathable and some people at avsforum tested it and it tested well.

JustaSheep
08-14-2013, 09:46 AM
SpoonFlower.com

Use the cotton fabric, kona I think... I'll check when I get home. Is very breathable and some people at avsforum tested it and it tested well.

Great, thanks! I'll wait for you to confirm.

hockeyrcks9901
08-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Yep. Kona cotton is the one I used.

Make sure your image is very high resolution.

Here's a link to the thread that I followed to make mine:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap

JustaSheep
08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks again.