PDA

View Full Version : Blown CMT-340 SE tweeters?

linerjoe
08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
So, today I was playing audio through my CMT-340's, when the high's suddenly cut out. This happened on both CMT-340's at the same time. The mid's appear to be fine. I have swapped the center channel to the left, and the high's are fine, so it's obviously not the amp or the wiring. That leaves the tweeter itself.

Is there any other way to test the tweeter directly? Are there any internal fuses that could blow, etc? Anything I'm missing here? Anything else I should check?

I have certainly played louder music through them in the almost 7 years I've owned them, so I find it odd that it shut down now.

I know I can buy replacement tweeters, but I'd obviously rather not part with the cash if I can avoid it. :)

joe

GirgleMirt
08-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Both tweeters at the same time? That is so weird... You could remove the tweeters and just connect them to your amp's speaker out (one at a time, low volume), that would confirm that the tweeters are fried, but not that the crossovers are fine... Well unless you have another tweeter u could plug in the 340's tweeter's place.

linerjoe
08-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Both tweeters at the same time? That is so weird... You could remove the tweeters and just connect them to your amp's speaker out (one at a time, low volume), that would confirm that the tweeters are fried, but not that the crossovers are fine... Well unless you have another tweeter u could plug in the 340's tweeter's place.

Good ideas. I didn't even think about the crossover. I will swap the tweeter from the center (since I know it works).

Thanks!

joe

davef
08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
So, today I was playing audio through my CMT-340's, when the high's suddenly cut out. This happened on both CMT-340's at the same time. The mid's appear to be fine. I have swapped the center channel to the left, and the high's are fine, so it's obviously not the amp or the wiring. That leaves the tweeter itself.

Is there any other way to test the tweeter directly? Are there any internal fuses that could blow, etc? Anything I'm missing here? Anything else I should check?

I have certainly played louder music through them in the almost 7 years I've owned them, so I find it odd that it shut down now.

I know I can buy replacement tweeters, but I'd obviously rather not part with the cash if I can avoid it. :)

joe

Very odd that both tweeters would cut out at the same time. If the tweeters are actually bad, this would indicate some type of issue with the receiver, such as heavy clipping or a power surge etc.

On the back of the 340's there are two sets of inputs, high frequency inputs and the low frequency inputs. Remove the bi-wire jumpers and connect the speaker wires to just the top (high frequency) inputs. Any output from the speakers?

linerjoe
08-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Very odd that both tweeters would cut out at the same time. If the tweeters are actually bad, this would indicate some type of issue with the receiver, such as heavy clipping or a power surge etc.

On the back of the 340's there are two sets of inputs, high frequency inputs and the low frequency inputs. Remove the bi-wire jumpers and connect the speaker wires to just the top (high frequency) inputs. Any output from the speakers?

I removed the bi-wire jumpers and no sound at all out of the tweeters. I removed the tweeter from the center, and plugged it into both the left and the right, and it worked fine. So it definitely appears that both tweeters are dead.

The odd part is that I wasn't hearing any distortion or clipping, the highs just suddenly cut out on both speakers at the same time.

Joe

davef
08-14-2013, 02:09 AM
I removed the bi-wire jumpers and no sound at all out of the tweeters. I removed the tweeter from the center, and plugged it into both the left and the right, and it worked fine. So it definitely appears that both tweeters are dead.

The odd part is that I wasn't hearing any distortion or clipping, the highs just suddenly cut out on both speakers at the same time.

Joe

I would strongly recommend getting your receiver checked out. That said, it is not a problem to order replacement tweeters from us. Simply give us a call. What receiver are you using??

linerjoe
08-14-2013, 04:21 AM
I would strongly recommend getting your receiver checked out. That said, it is not a problem to order replacement tweeters from us. Simply give us a call. What receiver are you using??

Pioneer VSX-1021. I have had 0 problems with it in the 1.5 years I've owned it. Replaced my old Denon AVR-3805 (which was a better overall receiver, but needed some more functionality).

Blutarsky
08-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Does your receiver have a reset button? What source were you using? Does this happen with all inputs?

davef
09-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Pioneer VSX-1021. I have had 0 problems with it in the 1.5 years I've owned it. Replaced my old Denon AVR-3805 (which was a better overall receiver, but needed some more functionality).

It is very likely the amplifier went into hard clipping during a strong dynamic. HT Labs measured a max output of only 56 watts per channel at 1% distortion, with 5 channels driven.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-vsx-1021-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Be cautious, this can happen again if you are not careful. There is no way to protect a tweeter from amplifier clipping...