PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Tower with Raal tweeters in audio only system

Traction65
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi, the Sierra towers with Raal tweeters is probably on my short list as replacements for my current Vandersteen 1 speakers in an audio only system. My current speakers are driven by an Arcam A85 integrated (85wpc@8ohms)(the Arcam maybe replaced next year after I get new speakers) in a 12' by 20' living room. Speaker location is on the short wall and because of a door conflict the speaker's baffle can't be more that 24" from the front wall (not idea, but that's what I have). My music is somewhat eclectic, but Americana, classic rock, some blues, and light classical are probably what I listen to most. Guitar music, either electric or acoustic is certainly a favorite.

Other speakers on my list include Salk's SongTower with Raal, SurperChargedSoundTower and the Veracity HT 1-TL. KEF's R500 or R700 and Focal's 826V or 826w(front ported). I haven't heard the KEFs or the Focals yet, but I'm going to try to hear them in a week or so (stores are 100 miles away)

Question: In looking through the Forums I think most Sierra Tower owners use the towers in HT applications, but I was wondering if members could comment on their use for music, particularity compared to other brands of speakers?

Question: Comments on near wall placement of the Towers would also be useful.

Question: And I noticed that the midrange woffer is sealed. The only other tower speaker that I've seem info on with some of the drivers sealed was one of Opera's (Italian) speakers. I guess that would be helpful for near wall placement, but I was wonder if there is other benefits.

Thanks
(my first post on the forums)

natetg57
07-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Here is what it says on the product page: "Our midrange driver is housed in its own dedicated critically damped sealed enclosure within the cabinet and is designed to reproduce the critical midrange response. By isolating the midrange from the rest of the drivers, intermodulation distortion is greatly reduced and detail and separation between individual instruments is greatly improved."

davef
07-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi Traction65,

Welcome to our forum and I am happy to address your questions!

Question: In looking through the Forums I think most Sierra Tower owners use the towers in HT applications, but I was wondering if members could comment on their use for music, particularity compared to other brands of speakers?

I would say at least 50% of our Sierra Tower customers are using them for strictly 2-channel music.

Question: Comments on near wall placement of the Towers would also be useful.

They perform exceptionally well with near wall placement. We have them located 1 foot away from the wall behind them in our listening room.

Question: And I noticed that the midrange woffer is sealed. The only other tower speaker that I've seem info on with some of the drivers sealed was one of Opera's (Italian) speakers. I guess that would be helpful for near wall placement, but I was wonder if there is other benefits.

Porting a woofer (if it is designed to be ported) increases the system's low end efficiency while sacrificing transient accuracy. It makes no sense to port a dedicated midrange woofer, you would simply be hurting overall performance with nothing to gain. Many 2-way tower speakers use ported woofers because those woofers will be reproducing both the low end response and midrange response.

dalfrednix
07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
I just received a pair of Sierra Towers and am using them in an audio ONLY setup; they replaced a pair of 1990 KEF 107s, and boy did I hear an immediate improvement in the sound whether playing a classical symphony or vocal jazz. I highly recommend these speakers for an all audio system.

Traction65
07-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks to all that replied and particularly to David. I was surprised by the approximately 50 percent use of the towers for 2 channel audio, but good news to me. Also good to know that the towers are placed near to the front wall in the Ascend listening room in a similar distance to what I will have to place a pair of towers in my living room. And David thanks for answering my question about the sealed midrange; it wasn't as important as my other two questions, but I was just curious and I think I have a concept of the design logic now. One other note, I guess I made a rookie mistake my not posting my questions in the tower thread and not the general loudspeaker thread. "oops"

davef
08-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks to all that replied and particularly to David. I was surprised by the approximately 50 percent use of the towers for 2 channel audio, but good news to me. Also good to know that the towers are placed near to the front wall in the Ascend listening room in a similar distance to what I will have to place a pair of towers in my living room. And David thanks for answering my question about the sealed midrange; it wasn't as important as my other two questions, but I was just curious and I think I have a concept of the design logic now. One other note, I guess I made a rookie mistake my not posting my questions in the tower thread and not the general loudspeaker thread. "oops"

It is my pleasure!!!