PDA

View Full Version : The towers are a WOW! speaker

dalfrednix
07-27-2013, 08:14 AM
The pair arrived yesterday; the shipping material and care with which the speakers were packed was clearly evident. White gloves, polishing cloth, felt pads, spikes and installation instructions were all included.

I ordered the dark satin cherry with the ribbon tweeter; the finish and care with which each speaker was built immediately jumps out at you. Beautiful craftsmanship.

I'm driving these with Denon electronics in a 4.1 configuration with the Ascend towers as the front mains, Snell K7 monitors as the rear speakers; the subwoofer is a SVS.

I'm a "nut" for vocal jazz and currently I'm listening to a Concord Jazz recording featuring Susannah McCorckle vocals.

The towers replace a pair of KEF 107s I had for almost 24 years; when purchased these reference speakers were "state of the art". I cannot believe what I'm hearing from the towers. It's a WOW sound; bright but not harsh, full and expansive, clean with a wide theatre. Susannah didn't sound this good with the KEFs!:)

I'll return in a month and give you an update after I have played a variety of music. If you are considering this speaker do not hesitate to purchase a pair; they have a 30 day money backed guarantee.

mapmn006
07-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Glad to hear you like your speakers. I'm about 10 days from putting in my order. Like you I'm going with the towers with ribbon tweeter. My color choice seems to change daily...ok hourly. Thinking natural at the moment. It took me 3-4 month researching to settle on the Sierra Towers. Runner up was the Song Towers RT. I've emailed Dave a few times and spoke with Jim Salk on the phone in my quest for research answers. I really like both from what I've learned researching without ever hearing either. I don't know exactly why, but feel the Sierra Towers are the ones to go with for me. Anyway as someone who is close to ordering I'm glad to hear about another happy customer with regard to fit and finish, shipping, packaging, and sound quality. The cherry looks amazing too.

markie
07-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Considering the extremely high praise that the KEF 107's received, your very positive evaluation of the Sierra Towers in comparison speaks volumes! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing more of your impressions in time. Thanks again!

Mark