PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new Ascend setup

mchrisbrown
07-18-2013, 03:11 PM
I've been reading these threads for a couple of years now and am finally getting close to taking the plunge and getting some new speakers. I'm already a converted member of the Ascend family since I bought a CMT-340 classic center a number of years ago and was astounded by the incredible improvement in clarity (most noticeable to me in movie dialogue) to what I was getting compared to my previous Infinity center channel. I knew I'd be going with Ascend when I was ready to do the full upgrade. So after countless hours of researching here, on AVS, and internet searches in general here's what I think I want. I wanted to post my proposed configuration here to see if anyone had thoughts or suggestions about possible changes I should make.

My Room: 15 x 18
Usage: 80% Home Theater 20% Music

Musical Taste: Anything from Norah Jones to Iron Maiden - super wide spectrum I know. I want speakers that show every detail of the delicate stuff but also want to be able to crank the heavy stuff to high volumes and maintain clarity without worrying about distortion or perhaps speaker damage.

Amp/Receiver: Denon AVR-X4000

Here's what I'm thinking:
Sierra Tower Mains - NrT domes - Dark Cherry Satin
Sierra Horizon Center - RAAL tweeter - Dark Cherry Satin
CBM-170 SE surrounds - ummm... black of course (wish I could get cherry here as well)
Sub - Rythmik F15 - welcome opinion on black oak versus black matte (no cherry apparently?)

Any thoughts or suggestions on this configuration? One of my concerns is will the CBM-170s be able to handle the volume being cranked to above reference levels when playing hard rock? I often listen to my "loud" music in 5 channel stereo (I realize this isn't the audiophile thing to do but I like what I like) with the sub contributing as well of course. If so I'm thinking I can ease the burden on the 170s by raising the crossover? I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Chris Brown (no not that one) - please hold the Rihanna jokes

choirbass
07-18-2013, 04:35 PM
It doesn't look like there are any concerns you should have. You can email Ascend and see if cherry is an option, even if it's a custom option.

edit: as far as the xover, since they are bookshelves, it's always a good idea.

Kisakuku
07-18-2013, 05:35 PM
I
Sub - Rythmik F15 - welcome opinion on black oak versus black matte (no cherry apparently?)

If you are not constrained in your placement options, dual subs will always be better. If it's a matter of budget, then two F12s, otherwise shoot for two F15HPs. Any reason for not going the ported route?

mchrisbrown
07-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Due to limited placement options I'll likely stay with one sub but I'm open to the idea of changing my sub selection as I've struggled with this decision. I did a ton of research on ported versus non-ported much of which was specific to Rhythmik subs but also just in general. It seems that many feel a sealed sub has a tighter sound because the pressure inside the enclosure causes the cone to equalize to its natural state more quickly (trying to describe this as best I can). In other words the notes end more quickly and cleanly kind of like what I've read when comparing RAAL to NrT tweeters on the Towers if that makes sense. For this reason many recommend a sealed sub while I've seen many others recommend a ported sub to maximize SPL for the dollar. It seems to be a debated point as to whether sealed subs sound better than ported subs but I don't recall anyone saying the a ported sub sounds better. So my thought process was to err on the side of sound quality rather than SPL because the Sierra towers and horizon play fairly low so I was thinking that leaves less work for the subwoofer (lower crossover so the sub has to play a narrower range). Again this was just my thought process that led me to decide on the F15. I welcome alternate points of view so I can learn which is why I'm here of course. My current sub is an HSU TN-1225 (cylinder form factor) and I have been happy with the amount of SPL from it but more is always better of course:) Does anyone know how the F15 would or FV15 would compare to my current sub? I'm also open to the idea for the High Output version (F15HP). So I guess my 3 choices are F15, FV15, and F15HP. I welcome any and all input to help me choose.

Kisakuku
07-19-2013, 12:07 PM
So I guess my 3 choices are F15, FV15, and F15HP. I welcome any and all input to help me choose.

Don't forget F25 and FV25HP as well. My understanding is that the ported Rythmiks do sound just as good as the sealed ones because of the servo. It's just a matter of prioritizing higher output (ported) vs. lower extension (sealed). If you wait long enough, F25HP might be already available, and then you won't have to decide at all :)

curtis
07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Don't forget F25 and FV25HP as well. My understanding is that the ported Rythmiks do sound just as good as the sealed ones because of the servo. It's just a matter of prioritizing higher output (ported) vs. lower extension (sealed). If you wait long enough, F25HP might be already available, and then you won't have to decide at all :)
Also remember that the higher output is pretty much only at the tuning point of the port....and it is smaller.

F25HP....I wish I could work one of those into my room. Just too imposing! :)

Kisakuku
07-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Also remember that the higher output is pretty much only at the tuning point of the port....

That's not how I interpreted this graph (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/1320#post_19160300).

curtis
07-19-2013, 05:50 PM
That's not how I interpreted this graph (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/1320#post_19160300).
Thanks....it does look louder over all, although Brian mentions 5 db boost in the 20hz-40hz range.

mchrisbrown
07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
After much reading on various forums I think I'm now leaning towards the FV15HP. The more I read it seems that the clarity/tightness between Rhythmik sealed and ported subs is minimal (detectable by some and not even detectable by others). On the other hand there seems to be consensus that the impact/power of explosions, gunshots, etc. is considerably enhanced by moving to a ported and/or higher powered sub. I definitely want maximum impact for movies so I guess the FV15HP it is. Here's a great review that I'll post here for others to see that helped with my decision: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481744/rythmik-audio-fv15hp-direct-servo-subwoofer-review .