PDA

View Full Version : T-Amps: Has Anyone Tried Them??

parimento1
07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I was looking at T-amps, just because they are small, light and should have good sound quality. Have any of you guys ever used one? I was looking at the ones from Topping and Hlly. Chime in, let me know what you think!

curtis
07-09-2013, 02:50 PM
I was looking at T-amps, just because they are small, light and should have good sound quality. Have any of you guys ever used one? I was looking at the ones from Topping and Hlly. Chime in, let me know what you think!
I bought one to play around with and for my daughter to use with her laptop/desktop a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Topping-TP30-Digital-Amplifier-USB-DAC/dp/B005D7SKWK

It is currently hooked up to a MacBook Air, driving a pair of HVL-1's. The speakers sit on a large desk, so it is not the optimal sound setup, but I am impressed. It seems to be built pretty solid as well.

I'd like to try a higher powered t-amp to see if it makes a difference. When she is not around, I want to hook my Sierra-1's up to it.

Here is the setup with her old MacBook:

http://changpics.smugmug.com/Electronics/WCA/i-jNxR4PD/0/M/IMG_0500-M.jpg

winerworks
07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
I had a Topping T Amp for awhile. The sound was pretty good but I felt I had a very limited choice in speakers. The sound was also a bit thin when the amp was turned up. I ended up purchasing a class D amp which worked much better. The amp is a TBI Millennia and it has quite a bit more power. Not nearly as expensive as most D class amps. Also has a small footprint.

parimento1
07-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I looked at that amp...very interesting...can run on batteries or regular power. It doesnt break the bank either. Any other companies that you know of? how did you hear of TBI?

I had a Topping T Amp for awhile. The sound was pretty good but I felt I had a very limited choice in speakers. The sound was also a bit thin when the amp was turned up. I ended up purchasing a class D amp which worked much better. The amp is a TBI Millennia and it has quite a bit more power. Not nearly as expensive as most D class amps. Also has a small footprint.

winerworks
07-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I really don't know of any class D amps anywhere near that price. I heard about it from a thread on AVS.
The battery power is supposed to improve the amp to a whole new level. I haven't gotten around to battery power. This amp seems to keep up with my old Nuforce P8 although it doesn't have nearly the
power. The Millennia amp works well with efficient speakers.

choirbass
07-10-2013, 02:25 AM
T-amps would be fine, just make sure not to turn the volume up too loud..

curtis
07-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Which Topping amp did you have before the Millennia?

parimento1
07-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Take a look at this company...http://www.heedaudio.hu/

has some really unique products for people with limited space. The stuff is expensive but looks really cool. got great review on whathifi. Stumbled onto it looking for small form factor amplifiers.

winerworks
07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
I had the Topping T 21. Great for a desk top situation.