PDA

View Full Version : Weird results last night watching a movie on itunes

jahjd2000
07-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Last night I watched a movie through iTunes (Apple TV) and got some weird results. I had to turn the volume way up (+1-2 dBs), which I normally never do and it still wasn't that loud. I'm thinking it has something to do with either Audyssey attenuating the heck out of my set up or poor streaming quality through iTunes, or both. At low to moderate volumes, vocals were breaking up too. I've heard vocals break up on occasion, but I've always written off as it being the result of a bad "source".

My front stage consists of:
L/C/R: Towers and Horizon all with NrT
Powered by: Denon 4311

Anyone else run into a similar situation? Just a hypothesis, but is it possible that Audyssey is applying too much EQ (taming the sound) which is requiring me to turn up the volume past Denon's comfortable limit? I'll rerun Audyssey and experiment with different sources.

curtis
07-03-2013, 11:41 AM
From reading your description, it seems that you have watched movies before via AppleTV and this hasn't happened.

If that is the case, I doubt it is an Audessey problem isn't dynamic and change with different material. I bet it was an iTunes problem with the particular movie.

Blutarsky
07-03-2013, 12:09 PM
:rolleyes:Turn it up to 11 and try a different input.

jahjd2000
07-03-2013, 01:10 PM
To clarify, this isn't the first time I've encountered volume issues. Last night was probably the most extreme case and so I'm anchored to that experience. I've on occasion noticed this with multiple sources, but none as prominent as what I experienced with iTunes last night. And I don't think turning up the volume is the solve because as I mentioned, I'm hearing some form of distortion at higher volumes.

I wonder if Audyssey is contributing to the problem because it set trim levels across all speakers at about -7, and I believe there's a separate volume offset depending on the material (I'm referring to the negative x value Denon will sometimes display when switching stations/inputs). Also when I turn off Audyssey the volume gets considerably louder.

I'll rerun Audyssey today and see if it helps.
I'll

curtis
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Which receiver do you have?

jahjd2000
07-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I have the Denon 4311 which outputs 140 wpc I believe.

Blutarsky
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Try calling Denon.

davef
07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Last night I watched a movie through iTunes (Apple TV) and got some weird results. I had to turn the volume way up (+1-2 dBs), which I normally never do and it still wasn't that loud. I'm thinking it has something to do with either Audyssey attenuating the heck out of my set up or poor streaming quality through iTunes, or both. At low to moderate volumes, vocals were breaking up too. I've heard vocals break up on occasion, but I've always written off as it being the result of a bad "source".

My front stage consists of:
L/C/R: Towers and Horizon all with NrT