PDA

View Full Version : CMT-340 SE or Sierra Tower - Need Advice

4Play
06-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Ok, here's the scoop. I replacing the Infinity Primus fronts and center, and I am going with Ascend, but the question is which pair.

Audio System is... Marantz SR5005 receiver, Denon Network Audio Player, and Infinity Primus fronts and center.

Our home is a bi-level and coming up a small flight of stairs is our living room. Dimensions are 11ft wide x 14ft deep. Coming up the stairs there is a 4ft wall which is where our sofa is. Between the living room and dining/kitchen, there is a small table with a chair on either side. Across the room from the sofa is the long wall and this is where the audio credenza sits. The two Infinity Primus sit on either side of the credenza with the center sitting on top and center. Flooring is low pile carpeting. Above the credenza is a painting my Mother-in-law painted several years ago when declining health forced her to quit. Across the room from the two chairs is the only window with curtains. These are not thick but they are not sheer. When pulled you can still see out of them.

This time around, I was thinking about going with the CMT-340s. I think the room is the right size that would complement the CMT-340s. However, the Sierra Tower would be what I'm replacing now but a little taller. The Infinitys are 36 3/4 inches high, where the Towers are 43 inches high.

There you have it in a nutshell. I hope I have provided enough information for you to determine which would you think would give the best sound quality overall. Those who have a similar size room, you're comments/thoughts/advise is greatly need. I'm hoping to purchase by next Friday.

Thank you in advance for the help!!

Mag_Neato
06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
You worded some of that somewhat confusing to me, but I think I get the idea!

If it is a choice between the 340's and the Sierra Towers, and the big price difference is not an issue, there really is no choice in my mind. TOWERS!!

curtis
06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
I think I am more confused than Ed.

What is your criteria for the speaker? Just size?

The Sierra Tower is a much better speaker, but it is also close to four times the cost.

choirbass
06-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Could be an assumption that the Infinity Primus and Sierra Tower's sound similar (as the OP did say he was looking to replace the Sierra Tower's), but if that's the case.. then I'm not quite sure either. You would be saving a lot of money choosing the CMT-340's instead.. tho if size is the main concern rather than cost, then Sierra-1's would be a better option (the 340's are definitely larger than the Sierra-1's).

4Play
06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
I didn't mean to confuse everyone. What I'm asking is will the CMT-340s give me the sound quality, and given the size of the room (11ft wide x 14ft deep) would they be a better fit. Or would be best to stick with a tower again? I would think the towers would be overkill, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

choirbass
06-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Comparing acoustic qualities of one to the other, the towers are simply a better option if given the choice. Not overkill by any means :)

ToneDef
06-20-2013, 07:18 PM
If cost is not an issue, I'd get the Towers. Otherwise you'll always be thinking in the back of your mind..what if.. Just my opinion.

4Play
06-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Interesting how there is no vote for the CMTs. Cost is an issue as the Towers are over 4x more than the CMTs. I was hoping someone would comment on their CMTs and how their experience has been. Are the CMTs not strong enough for the size of our living room, and will the sound quality not be as good as the Towers? I'm now wondering whether the sub would be worth the extra money.

All comments are still welcomed.

curtis
06-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Interesting how there is no vote for the CMTs. Cost is an issue as the Towers are over 4x more than the CMTs. I was hoping someone would comment on their CMTs and how their experience has been. Are the CMTs not strong enough for the size of our living room, and will the sound quality not be as good as the Towers? I'm now wondering whether the sub would be worth the extra money.

All comments are still welcomed.
There was no vote for the 340SE's because we were unsure if budget was an issue.

The CMT-340SE is Ascend's best bang for the buck....it is an excellent speaker at its pricepoint. Coming from the Primuses, would be a nice upgrade, especially if you add a subwoofer, and work fine in your room.

If I could afford it, I would get the Sierra Towers...if not, I would look at the Sierra-1, Sierra-1 NrT, and then the CMT-340SE. Also, the Sierra-2 will be coming in the future as well...and be slotted ahead of the Sierra-1.

What is your realistic budget?

4Play
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
As of right now my realistic budget would be less than $800. The end of next month I have a small bonus coming but I was not planning on using it for audio. Also, I want add a turntable between now and then, so money is going to be tight. The square footage of our living room is 1232sq ft... 11ft wide x 14ft deep x 8ft ceiling. There is no mention of the NrT. Is there any information available on these?

natetg57
06-20-2013, 09:05 PM
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

NRT is a $300 tweeter and crossover upgrade.

curtis
06-20-2013, 10:02 PM
As of right now my realistic budget would be less than $800. The end of next month I have a small bonus coming but I was not planning on using it for audio. Also, I want add a turntable between now and then, so money is going to be tight. The square footage of our living room is 1232sq ft... 11ft wide x 14ft deep x 8ft ceiling. There is no mention of the NrT. Is there any information available on these?
Then I would go for the CMT-340SE's. You'll be happy, but if you are the type that wonders...then I can't help you. :)

4Play
06-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Will the CMT-340s be enough speaker and, given the size of the living room, will they provide great sound quality that will fill the room.

curtis
06-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Will the CMT-340s be enough speaker and, given the size of the living room, will they provide great sound quality that will fill the room.
No problem at all.

My room is approximately 14 x 18, with a sloping ceiling from 8 to 9 feet. When I had the CMT-340SE's, they had no problem, and sounded excellent....and could drive you out of the room.

Will you be using a subwoofer as well?

4Play
06-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm hoping the speakers will provide enough bass for the room.

curtis
06-21-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm hoping the speakers will provide enough bass for the room.
That is going to be very subjective. People like different levels of bass.

The 340SE has very accurate bass reproduction, but your Primus 363 play lower...probably because they have more cabinet volume.

choirbass
06-21-2013, 01:30 PM
They are bookshelves after all, so they won't really be able to shake a room from excessive low frequencies. Being monitors, they are accurate, and that may even be a problem, material, setting, layout dependent, like Curtis mentioned.. For that, there are separate powered sub-woofers that can be used. I have 2 subs myself, one for each channel, not so the bass is always there, but so earthquake-ish sensations are even an option when playing computer games, etc (at times I just have them off, not always a desire to have stand out lower frequencies, or even any). But again, since they are monitors, accuracy is going to be more the main thing for them, beyond all else.

They do provide bass tho, no doubt.

4Play
06-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I will try the CMTs without a sub, and if I think a sub is needed, I will get one. Which sub would you recommend getting?

choirbass
06-21-2013, 03:15 PM
That would probably be the best way to go, so you find out first. Again, a lot of recommendations come down to budget, the ones I'm using now certainly aren't Rhythmic in cost, but being only just over $100 each from costco, can't really say the SW-8 Panasonic subs are failures either. Down firing, front ported, phase switch, X-over and volume knobs. They work pretty well.

I suppose the only real 'downside' is an RMS of only 50 watts (certainly seems easily more than that), Honestly didn't need a second sub, just preferred one for each monitor. No other reason.

edit: amazon says the RMS is 100 watts, probably just misremembered

curtis
06-21-2013, 03:31 PM
That would probably be the best way to go, so you find out first. Again, a lot of recommendations come down to budget, the ones I'm using now certainly aren't Rhythmic in cost, but being only just over $100 each from costco, can't really say the SW-8 Panasonic subs are failures either. Down firing, front ported, phase switch, X-over and volume knobs. They work pretty well.
Ahh...but have you experienced a Rythmik, or a Hsu, SVS, etc.? :)

choirbass
06-21-2013, 03:50 PM
nope lol, im really not the person to be making sub recommendations i think

curtis
06-21-2013, 04:23 PM
nope lol, im really not the person to be making sub recommendations i think
I'm just trying to help spend your money! :)

Kisakuku
06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
I will try the CMTs without a sub, and if I think a sub is needed, I will get one. Which sub would you recommend getting?

I think a Rythmik LV12R (http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html) for $589 shipped makes good sense for your budget if you go with CMTs.

choirbass
06-23-2013, 11:12 PM
That does look like a very good sub to go with :) Read some reviews/spec comparisons, probably gonna replace the 2 currently in use, for now obvious reasons, lol