PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 Crossover Frequency sans Subwoofer

noteworthy
06-14-2013, 05:29 PM
I've read a few threads here and elsewhere about crossover frequency, setting to "Large" or "Small", but for piece of mind I'd appreciate input.

I have a Denon AVR-1712 and a pair of Sierra-1s in a 2.0 setup (no subwoofer). I've manually input the speaker distance. I have yet to run Audyssey and have my Sierras manually set to "Large" when listening to music and "Small" with a crossover frequency of 60Hz for movies/TV. My Denon 1712 does not have a 50Hz option. Would it be safe to set it to 40Hz especially considering I don't listen at loud levels? Should I apply a crossover for video games, like Halo 4, Mass Effect, Bioshock Infinite, which have cinematic-like scores and sound effects?

Finally, should I still run Audyssey? Afterwards I would have to manually set the crossover frequency to 60Hz (or 40Hz), right? Would this negate the other settings dictated by Audyssey?

Dark Ranger
06-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi noteworthy,

I'll throw in my $0.02 here (probably worth less due to inflation :p). You have the right idea with high-passing the Sierra-1s for movies. I'd recommend the same for games, too. While the Sierra-1 woofer assembly is quite robust, today's bombastic soundtracks often carry a ton of low frequency material that can require significant excursion.

For reference, I have a 50 Hz crossover on my Sierra-1 pair (also using Q-Plug B) with absolutely no issues. My typical listening level for movies/games is from 75 - 85 dBC at ~1.5 meters. I chose 50 Hz because it was the best integration with my sub, but I could get away with a 40 Hz crossover, too, with no worries about damaging the Sierra-1 pair.

For further clarification, any idea how loudly you listen and how far away you sit from the speakers? Do you have a SPL meter? What is moderate to some may be loud to others. Dolby Reference is 85 dB with peaks up to 105 dB from the main speakers (measured at the listening position).

Regarding Audyssey, it's pretty typical to manually adjust the crossover point after measurement, in fact, it's usually OK to do so. One thing Audyssey tries to do is figure out where the speaker's bass response rolls off. For example, Audyssey might find the Sierra-1 roll-off frequency to be around 60 Hz in a typical home setup. So, it would set the Sierra-1s to SMALL with maybe a 60 Hz or 80 Hz crossover depending on several factors. You can lower the crossover after measurement, Audyssey just won't apply any correction/EQ below the roll-off point it found earlier. Now if the Sierra-1s were small satellite speakers with a -3 dB point of say 120 Hz, lowering the crossover frequency to 60 Hz or 40 Hz would not be recommended.

Remember that you don't have to use room correction, but it can help in some cases. I'd recommend trying with and without EQ.

Perhaps some other folks more knowledgeable with Audyssey will chime in.

noteworthy
06-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi noteworthy,

I'll throw in my $0.02 here (probably worth less due to inflation :p). You have the right idea with high-passing the Sierra-1s for movies. I'd recommend the same for games, too. While the Sierra-1 woofer assembly is quite robust, today's bombastic soundtracks often carry a ton of low frequency material that can require significant excursion.

For reference, I have a 50 Hz crossover on my Sierra-1 pair (also using Q-Plug B) with absolutely no issues. My typical listening level for movies/games is from 75 - 85 dBC at ~1.5 meters. I chose 50 Hz because it was the best integration with my sub, but I could get away with a 40 Hz crossover, too, with no worries about damaging the Sierra-1 pair.

For further clarification, any idea how loudly you listen and how far away you sit from the speakers? Do you have a SPL meter? What is moderate to some may be loud to others. Dolby Reference is 85 dB with peaks up to 105 dB from the main speakers (measured at the listening position).

Regarding Audyssey, it's pretty typical to manually adjust the crossover point after measurement, in fact, it's usually OK to do so. One thing Audyssey tries to do is figure out where the speaker's bass response rolls off. For example, Audyssey might find the Sierra-1 roll-off frequency to be around 60 Hz in a typical home setup. So, it would set the Sierra-1s to SMALL with maybe a 60 Hz or 80 Hz crossover depending on several factors. You can lower the crossover after measurement, Audyssey just won't apply any correction/EQ below the roll-off point it found earlier. Now if the Sierra-1s were small satellite speakers with a -3 dB point of say 120 Hz, lowering the crossover frequency to 60 Hz or 40 Hz would not be recommended.

Remember that you don't have to use room correction, but it can help in some cases. I'd recommend trying with and without EQ.

Perhaps some other folks more knowledgeable with Audyssey will chime in.

Thanks Dark Ranger.

I knew the part about how loud I listen could be vague. Unfortunately I do not have a SPL meter. I know I do not listen anywhere near Dolby reference. I sit approx 7.5 ft from the speakers. I think I will set the crossover frequency to 40Hz. I can definitely hear that I am losing quite a bit with the Sierras set to SMALL with a crossover frequency of 60Hz vs set to LARGE.

I've been kind of lazy with running Audyssey in part because I'd have to manipulate the boom mic tripod around my bed, which is against the wall, and also because I plan on moving my whole entertainment setup (TV, Sierras, AVR, consoles, etc) out of my bedroom and into the adjacent spare room. I will be repainting, doing some minor acoustic treating (removing closet doors in favor of curtains), putting in a couch, buying a new TV stand. I want to have a more comfortable, dedicated space.

Dark Ranger
06-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Yeah, setting the Sierra-1 to SMALL with a 40 Hz crossover will allow the speakers to squeeze out most of the low-frequency performance without risking damage from ultra low bass content. You should be just fine based on your info about listening levels and seating distance. If you preferred "rave party" volumes, then 60 - 80 Hz would be more realistic.

I wish you luck with the renovations. Some enthusiasts cannot dedicate a whole room for HT or 2-channel. Consider yourself lucky. ;)