PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Tower placement vs Salk

btaney
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of speakers, it's going to be either the RAAL Sierra Towers or the Salk Song Tower supercharged. I lean towards the sierras more, my main question is placement. For the time being they are going to be in a non-rectangular space and probably have to be close to the wall. Ease of placement esp close to walls seems to be a strength of the QWT type design, and is really the main concern I have with the Sierra's. what has people's experience been with placement, and what have people done to mitigate the issues

Kisakuku
06-05-2013, 05:40 PM
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of speakers, it's going to be either the RAAL Sierra Towers or the Salk Song Tower supercharged. I lean towards the sierras more, my main question is placement. For the time being they are going to be in a non-rectangular space and probably have to be close to the wall. Ease of placement esp close to walls seems to be a strength of the QWT type design, and is really the main concern I have with the Sierra's. what has people's experience been with placement, and what have people done to mitigate the issues

Will you be running them full range or with a subwoofer?

btaney
06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Full range.. It's mostly a music system so no sub

Kisakuku
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Full range.. It's mostly a music system so no sub

Not sure why one necessarily follows from the other. You could sacrifice some bass and use Q-plugs until you move into a different space or you could get a good subwoofer or think about using front-ported Horizons (or possibly vertical slim Horizons) instead of regular Towers.

btaney
06-05-2013, 07:09 PM
The Q-Plugs effective? I am not a fan of a sub for a music system, while you get lower, i have never heard one without it never sounds right or isn't obtrusive. The horizons look great, but I want the RAAL tweeter and do like the better aesthetics of the Sierra tower which I think is very very sharp.

Kisakuku
06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
The Q-Plugs effective? I am not a fan of a sub for a music system, while you get lower, i have never heard one without it never sounds right or isn't obtrusive. The horizons look great, but I want the RAAL tweeter and do like the better aesthetics of the Sierra tower which I think is very very sharp.

This (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?3781-Announcement-A-Sierra-1-add-on-enhancement!) is the Q-Plug thread.

You might want to read up on Rythmik subs that you can buy through Ascend or directly from Rythmik. There's a lot of people using them for primarily music-oriented setups; just look around here or in the Rythmik thread on AVS.

Horizons can be ordered with RAAL tweeters just like the Towers. The custom slim vertical Horizons are very aesthetically similar to the towers (but of course more expensive because of custom cabinetry).

curtis
06-05-2013, 10:55 PM
While I can understand a bias against subwoofers, and well integrated one is seamless and unobtrusive. Heck, many music recording studios use them.

Also note, that the bass characteristics between the Ascend and Salk are very different.

davef
06-05-2013, 11:24 PM

Hi btaney,

Placing our Sierra Towers close to the wall behind them is definitely not a problem even if running them full range. We recently demoed the towers under the same circumstances for an interested potential customer (3 inches from the wall behind them). Performance was great -- no issues at all. We use a specialized port tube with a huge external flare that spreads out the port air-flow, much like a wide beam headlight compared to a narrow beam.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Take care!

ToneDef
06-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Also note, that the bass characteristics between the Ascend and Salk are very different.

Interesting, how so? Can you elaborate?

curtis
06-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Interesting, how so? Can you elaborate?
Sure...nothing that hasn't been mentioned before in other forums.

Now this is the standard Sierra Tower and Songtower, but the Sierra Tower is punchier and articulate, and some would say the Songtower is smoother.