PDA

View Full Version : considering the Sierra-1

raub
04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
So I am really undecided, I really want a home theater set up that really gives you the suspense and "wow" factor with watching movies.

I spoke to a person at Ascend and they recommended the 340's. I look on here and everyone speaks of the Sierra's use with music and not so much with movies. Are these really just a waste with 85% tv/movies use?

JustABrah
04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Never heard the 340 but the Sierra-1 NrT are soooo good with movies, I honestly am having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money to move up to the towers, the Sierra-1s I've found are just that good.

phipp01
04-29-2013, 03:19 PM
I was going to buy the 340s before I came across L/C/R Sierra Ones used. Cant comment on the sound of the 340's but the Sierras are outstanding, IMO, with HT. And I am not running a sub yet and I am very happy.

davef
04-29-2013, 05:38 PM
So I am really undecided, I really want a home theater set up that really gives you the suspense and "wow" factor with watching movies.

I spoke to a person at Ascend and they recommended the 340's. I look on here and everyone speaks of the Sierra's use with music and not so much with movies. Are these really just a waste with 85% tv/movies use?

Hi raub,

Welcome to our forum! So much depends on your room and your listening preferences. If you prefer very loud and dynamic in a large room, 340's might do a better job. However, the Sierra-1's are an all-around better sounding loudspeaker with much better transparency and imaging. If the Sierra-1's will work for you, go with them... Best to send me an email to discuss.

DougMac
05-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I feel that you'll be impressed with either path. Like you, I contacted Ascend when planning my home theater and Dave recommended 340's. I haven't been disappointed.

I have not heard Sierra's, but I have read posts by folks who have owned both. They have pointed out they are both great speakers, with most giving the edge to the Sierra's for music.

I think it boils down to your space and intended use. From what I've been told, 340's will work better in a larger space. If you spend more time watching action movies like "Skyfall' than dialog driven movies and music, I'd give the nod to the 340's.

It's not that 340's are slouches with all kinds of music. I listen to everything from symphonic works to intimate jazz to straight up rock and the 340's sound great. They really shine with blu rays with good music tracks and music blu rays. The Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar festival is just awesome, especially cranked.

Right now I have my eye on the Sierra Towers with the Sierra Horizon center. I'm saving up my pennies!