PDA

View Full Version : RAAL or NrT for tube music system

btaney
04-19-2013, 08:29 PM
I am planning on buying some Sierra-one towers and have read through the threads and am still really unclear of the plus/minus of the RAAL upgrade. The system will be predominantly music. Amp will be Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum integrated with the source being mostly a Linn LP-12 and high bit rate digital streaming. Room is small, will use it for TV as well, don't particularly care that much about HT. is the RAAL a good choice for this? can it be upgraded later on? Are they fiddly or pretty reliable and versatile? Is the load appropriate for a tube amp like the rouge?
Thanks
Bill

edmondwolfman
04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Hopefully you will get some replies. I too am thinking about the RAAL towers and adding a primaluna dialogue 3 as a preamp with ss amp. I'd like to hear from anyone using a tube preamp with ther RAAL towers or any type of tube front end.

davef
04-23-2013, 12:47 AM
I am planning on buying some Sierra-one towers and have read through the threads and am still really unclear of the plus/minus of the RAAL upgrade. The system will be predominantly music. Amp will be Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum integrated with the source being mostly a Linn LP-12 and high bit rate digital streaming. Room is small, will use it for TV as well, don't particularly care that much about HT. is the RAAL a good choice for this? can it be upgraded later on? Are they fiddly or pretty reliable and versatile? Is the load appropriate for a tube amp like the rouge?
Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill,

HIGHLY recommended!!!! The RAAL 70-20 is just the opposite of fiddly, it is incredibly reliable and versatile and presents a linear impedance load (no significant impedance swings, no resonance bump, much unlike a dome tweeter), which makes it ideal for even the most finicky of tube amps. In fact, easy tube amp usage was one of Aleksandar's (the designer) goals for this tweeter.

I can't remember which Rogue amp I listened to at CES but I was very impressed and they were a fun bunch. I am extremely confident in this combination :)